Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG We have never dealt with worms before in ALL of our dogs. I had ordered deworming stuff online for Whiskey that won't arrive until next week but then this morning I woke up to just . . . . ugh . . . if your dog has passed worms before, then you know exactly what I saw!!!!

I'm running to Petsmart later today when I can get a ride to get some deworming stuff immediately. But other than giving her the medicine, I don't know what else needs to be done. We don't have a yard, (apartment) so I can't really/don't need to do stuff to the grass but what about her bed, my carpets, does she need a bath too?

Anything with the rest of the furniture? Are they able to pass to humans? I'm totally freaked out here!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Humans can get these worms but I think it is fairly rare. Your dog gets them by ingesting fleas that are infected, so if you accidently ingest a flea there is a small chance you could end up with them. That being said an obvious step that you need to take to get rid of this problem and prevent it happening again in the future is to keep your dog on a good flea control program.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh believe me, I will. We've never had to deal with anything like this before in any of our dogs. Our pug has only ever even been sick once in her whole 7 years of life!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ew!!! Virga had worms when we got her but I don't think she ever passed them that I saw. Good luck! Hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hannah's deworming at the breeders didn't take care of the worms which our vet set she was born with or got soon after birth. We found out from a fecal test at her first visit to our vet when she was 10 weeks old that she still had roundworms. She had two doses of the medicine two weeks apart. The worms all came out a day after the first dose. Ewwww! :eek: It was definitely science fiction looking poop!!! Maxwell had to have the medicine too, but no worms came out in his poop. We didn't have to do anything else and everyone was fine.

Good luck. Seeing those worms is definitely freaky. I was completely grossed out!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm heading to the store this afternoon to get her a first dose of the liquid stuff. Then I still have the tablets coming in later this week, one package for each dog cause I figure Willow will need something just in case, but Whiskey will definitely need a follow up.

Seriously. I don't think I've ever been so grossed out in my life. I've been itchy all day long just thinking about it!

Does anyone know if I need to specially clean my carpet since she's been rubbing her bum all over it?

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
The life cycle of the worm the dog can not get worm by eat them or direct contact with them, it gets them only from eating eggs that must mature for at least a month or infected prey animals

Round Worms in Dogs and Puppies

The other concept stems from the fact that all the larvae in migration cannot be killed by any of these products. After the worms are cleared from the intestine, they will be replaced by new worms completing their migration. This means that a second, and sometimes even a third deworming is needed to keep the intestine clear. The follow-up deworming is generally given several weeks following the first deworming to allow for migrating worms to arrive in the intestine where they are vulnerable.Do not forget your follow-up deworming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I already have my follow up planned. I read somewhere that it's actually not recommended to deworm more than twice in any year. Is that true?

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might also consider worming your other dogs as well. The eggs can be passed through fecal material and the other dogs might be exposed as well (unless you have them on a flea/heartworm regimen already).

Roundworms in Dogs & Puppies

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
I read somewhere that it's actually not recommended to deworm more than twice in any year. Is that true?
complete BS you need to worm until they clear. But if it takes more than three times it is likely getting reinfested from the environment and need to look as solving that problem like changing access to parts of the yard etc,

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yes, gross gross! We've been dealing with this since we got him (he's not called Worm for nothing...!)

Worm must have had a high worm burden-- he was supposedly de-wormed as a pup, but who knows? He threw up large worms, that's how we found out (the fecal tests are always negative for us). He got 2 strong doses of worming medication the first month. Then the vet has him on monthly Heartguard since then, which also kills roundworms. Each time he gets a dose, he poos out more worms. 3 months and counting now... he still has them. Vet says it will take some time to clear.... i don't believe it's reinfestation, tho for him, just a lot of worms to begin with...

Well, we looked it up, too, to find out the worst that could happen. This is very, very rare, but one of the worst complications is blindness, esp in kids. Visceral larva migrans, caused by Toxicara canis (dog roundworms):

Visceral larva migrans: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Main thing is to clean up the poop right away, so that the eggs don't hang around in the dirt, mud, or sand where children might play. If so, kids could acquire them. People aren't natural hosts for the worms (dogs are), so instead, they burrow in our tissues, and can burrow in the eyes, affecting vision.

Again, pretty rare. But then again, when I told people about his roundworms, a friend told me that a vet he knows (who is a family friend) became blind from them.

Ummm... I pick up Worm's poop right away and I wipe his bum for good measure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. So far so good. Gave her the meds with her dinner last night and so far only one of her poops came out with a few dead worms. Nothing like what I saw yesterday. *shudder* And then we've got meds being shipped right now for her follow up and for Willow's first round.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Be very careful when you use ovc.The best thing to do is take a fecal sample to your vets so in case there are other types(hookworm,whipworm) you need to treat the puppy/dog for. Hair coat can also indicate worms .If the texture of one of my dogs coats changes,usually becomes too hard or dry,I know somebody has something,it has been hookworms in the past..Hookworms are contracted by eating feaces or dirt containg the eggs which can live in soil for well over a year.Clean up is especially important.To prevent a re-infestation keeping the animal on a monthly heartworm preventive (Heartguard or Iterceptor) will help. Heartworm is different than intestinal parasites and can only be found with a blood test,once the test is done then put the dog on the heartworm preventative.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's been a day or so since we gave her the meds and so far so good. You can tell that something is actually happening because her stomach is reacting. Before she was very bloated in the belly and would overstuff herself and I read that some puppies do that because the worms feed off of the nutrition that they get so they slowly starve. Now she's eating a normal amount already and her stomach makes lots of noises before she goes to the bathroom and then when she goes she has a lot more energy.

Unfortunately, she's taken up the habit of eating her poop (EW!!!) so we get to deal with that now. Thankfully I have the second round of meds ordered right now. When we get through with this we'll get both of the dogs started on monthly regimen of the heartworm pills and a flea check.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts