Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to work with my hubby. My kids were watching the dogs, or vice versa. When we got home, my daughter told me to look at Zippys neck. It was raw looking with spots that were bleeding. I mean most of her neck, from under her chin down to her chest, there was no more hair! The blood appeared to be from her scratching, so it didn't worry me too much. I put some hydrocortisone (sp?) on it to keep her from scratching it. Luckily my daughter takes Zippy's collar off all the time, so she wasn't wearing it.

Today I went to work with hubby again, and my daughter called to tell me that Zippy was "acting weird". I asked what she meant. Zippy had gone under my daughter's bed and refused to come out. It's not usual, my daughter is Zippy's second favorite person! She does anything my daughter tells her to.

When I got home at noon, I looked at Zippy's neck again. The bald area had grew across her neck. And it was still bleeding like she was scratching it. She was really "acting weird". She didn't bark when my hubby came in the house. She didn't run to him for petting, she came to the couch where I was sitting and laid on me. This is NOT like her at all. Later I found her in the bathroom, which she normally refuses to go in. So I took her to the vet.

He said it was some type of dermititis. But he didn't know what caused it. He gave her an injection of cortisone. Then gave me antibiotics and cortisone pills and a cortisone ointment.

I have changed nothing in my house or the dogs yard in months. Zippy and Rochester have been eating Nutro NC L&R for about 2 months. We installed an invisible fence 3 weeks ago, but Zippy only wore the collar for 2 days. I use a laundry detergent with no dyes or perfumes, because my daughter is allergic to them. I also only use an oatmeal dog shampoo. I have no clue what this could be from. My dogs are also flea free.

Zippy is 4 years old. Was spayed at 6 months. And has never had any type of health problem, except dry skin in the winter (thus the oatmeal shampoo). I only bath her twice a month, at most.

Does anyone have any other ideas what could have caused this? I want to get rid of it, but I would also like to make sure it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'd suggest caring for the area as if it were a hot spot. If it doesn't clear up, then your vet will need to work it up with additional testing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Betsy beat me to it. That definitely sounds like a hot spot. They are a form of allergic reaction. Oscar has had them twice. The second time, he became very lethargic. We found out that was because the infection was causing him to run fever. Hot spots come out of nowhere and look horrible, but they are easily treatable. When Oscar had his, the vet shaved the area and cleaned it, gave him a shot (Sorry, I don't remember what it was. It has been awhile.), and gave us some antiseptic spray to keep on it. Both times, the spots went away completely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your responses. She is on prednisone, cephelexin, and dermalone ointment right now. It looks like it's clearing up. Well, it's not spreading anymore.

The picture on the PetPlace.com site looks much worse and a lot redder than Zippy area. Zippy also has a much larger area that is affected.

Here is a picture of her neck I took this evening:
Is that what a hot spot looks like? I've never had to deal with them.

[ August 08, 2004, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Zippy & Flash Grrtrude's Mom ]

·
Registered
939 Posts
not sure in your case,but my brittany just had the samething about 6 weeks ago.cause was water,yep she got wet and never got dried properly.my dogs all have a pool at their disposal(child's wading pool) and go in it when ever they want during the day,Stump will lay in it for hours,the breeder told me that out of the whole litter she was the only one that showed no fear of water right from day one.she is also the only one still alive 11 years later...but i don't think the water thing has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's what they look like, all right. As for cause, we still don't know what has caused Oscar to have his. I have never had a dog with hot spots until him.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Watch her carefully. My Max had a bad reaction to prednisone. He was taking it because of a bad hot spot. My vet switched him to other meds. He is doing fine. Interesting observation--the reaction was not immediate, but several days later.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
What kind of reaction?

·
Registered
939 Posts
i don't use anything from the Vet, i make up some special PINEY ELIXER and clear it up in 3 days.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hmm, the secret ingredient wouldn't be PINE-SOL, would it? ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, she's getting much better. She even lets me put the ointmant on her neck now. Before she would snap at me. I tried having my hubby or one of my kids hold her head, while she laid on her back. But they jumped and let go when she snapped. It was kinda funny watching my hubby (170 lbs 6'2") jump from his baby! :D

Now she lets me do it by myself without the snapping.

Mikem, what kind of reaction did your dog have? So far she's only drinking more water, which the vet said is normal.

Pinehawk, what kind of "elixer" do you use? Please don't tell me Pinesol, I really don't want a "lemony fresh" dog!

·
Registered
939 Posts
if i told you it wouldn't be a " Piney Elixer" now would it!!!!!! you won't tell anyone will you? if you promise not to tell, i will post what i use when i get home.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Shyla had small hotspots last year and I took her to the vet who gave her a shot and some ointment. Well, it didn't really clear it up so I bought some Sulfadine (sp) at the grocery store. It is yellow and smells like camphor but it immediately cleared up the problem. Shyla's hair grew back pretty quick although it did go from being black in that spot before it fell out to being white when it grew back in. LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
ok i'm back.sorry for the delay i've been back and forth to the hospital,since thursday with my wife.the docs had to do emergency stuff today and there still maybe more don't know yet,but keeping our fingers crossed that she has turned the corner.now, i work for a chemical/perfume/flavors company.we get in all sorts of oils and stuff that most women like to put on themselves in the form of perfumes and such. one product is called BENZYL BENZOATE U.S.P./ F.C.C. it's odorless,water white and has cured more hot spots, faster than anything else i've ever seen.i DO NOT know if you can get it at a drugstore but i guess you can check because of the USP grade of the product.that is my "PINEY ELIXER".sorry if i let you all down but i'm just trying to have some fun with the CRAP week that i've been having.Billy

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've heard a couple of old time breeders say their vet use to give them a mixture of Burrows solution and gentimycin that was great for hot spots. I shave the area as soon as I discover it and apply a Neomycin/prednisone powder and they've never gotten bigger than the size of a quarter.

Hey Billy sorry to hear about your wife. Sending healing thoughts her way and hope all turns out ok. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts