Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Basset Palz.

Well, i'm in a conundrum now. i've been going to evening playgroup couple times/week just down the street at the school. A really nice group of people with nice dogs who like me and give me lotsa treats! (my person is making me run around more, instead of just begging at everyone with my eyes) i like the group a lot.

well, it's at a large field at the school, so really, anyone can bring their dog there. recently, my pals tell me that twice the owners of the 2 dogs that attacked & bit me have brought their 2 dogs out. they felt really bad about the situation and apologized, and they did pay for my vet visit. they said they called their vet and got in touch with a behaviorist too.

so apparently, they think the problem is the 9yo golden retriever, whose temperament has always been this way. occasionally aggressive and unpredictable. they are keeping him on a leash at all times. they are letting the golden doodle off leash, tho. they don't think he's the problem, although my person remembers a chunk of my skin in his mouth and him waving it side to side. the playgroup says that so far, there doesn't seem to be a problem w/the golden doodle.

so... would you give these guyz a 2nd chance? or should we turn around and leave if we see them...? all opinions/viewpoints welcome and appreciated.
--thank you, Worm

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
so... would you give these guyz a 2nd chance? or should we turn around and leave if we see them...?
how bout some middle ground like remove wworm from the immeadiate are and observe the golden doodle with other dogs yourself before deciding you can also observers wworm reaction two. Keep in mind he is no longer a nuetral party in this either and my not react to this particular dog the same way he did the first time as well.

they don't think he's the problem, although my person remembers a chunk of my skin in his mouth and him waving it side to side
Not going to spend the time looking for the actual study but I did read that in three way doggy encounters if a second dog intervenes it is almost alway on the side of the dog that is "winning" so the golden dooddle behavior would be normal doggy practice.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to take a chance on something happening again. I would leave if they are there.
I used to take Yogi to a dog park but after a dog attacked him, I decided no more. My vet tells me that you wouldn't believe the number of dogs that come into the clinic after having been attacked at a dog park. I just think there are way too many stupid people who bring dogs there that KNOW they shouldn't. As usual, just a couple dogs can ruin a nice experience.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Personally, I would not risk it. God forbid you went out there and something bad happens again, your person would feel horrible forever!

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's a shame that poor Worm has to miss out on the socialization because of these others.....I am not sure how I would respond if I was in your shoes....MikeyT always seems to give very reasonable advise....maybe try observing them by your self first....then see what you think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are they there all the time? Cause if it's only on occasion then it might not be so bad just to skip it that time. But, if they're there all the time maybe you could try what MikeyT said.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No way would I risk it. I have one dog who became dog aggressive after being attacked by another 'well-behaved' dog. There's lots of other ways Worm can have fun and get socialized--well run puppy classes, fun training classes (Pet tricks; backyard agility) where he'll be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts