Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new on this board,but I have been "lurking" for quite some time now. And now I have a question for those who may be experienced in the area...

I have a 7-month-old Basset baby. She's an awesome dog. She is a bit hyper at times, usually when the kids are running around or company's here. I would like to get a Yorkshire Terrier (Yorkie) puppy. I was wondering if anyone has experience with keeping these two dogs in the same house? I don't want my Basset to think the Yorkie is a chewy toy!

PS ~ My friend has a Yorkie, and I'm babysitting him next Friday... Any tips for the first meeting?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jake's dogsitter (3 days a week, at her house) has two yorkies. They're older than the bassets and the yorkies and bassets seem to get along just fine. The yorkies are BOSS though!

Maybe someone else out there has experience with bassets and yorkie puppies...?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I took on four year old Wilson, I had a six month old kitten and a grumpy old cat in my home.

The grumpy old cat is now at the bridge and no longer grumpy and the kitten and Wilson are the very best of friends. Wilson is forever running around with his baby Bella cat hat and baby Bella is always flying out of nowhere to play with her best friend. When I took Wilson with us to the inlaws for Christmas, you never saw such excitement in your whole life as the two reunited after just two days. I know Wilson moped all through Christmas and my cat/house sitters said that Baby Bella was really depressed and sad while we were gone.

I think animals like the companionship of other animals and as for the chew toy concern, Wilson is very careful to just "soft mouth" Bella and my children. Seems to know the difference instinctively between chowing down and playing. It has been nearly a year and no issues. Sorry I don't know about Yorkies though.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had an elderly male Yorkie when George moved in and the two of them never got along, but neither was neutered and Li'l Bit (the Yorkie) had been king of the castle for several years. George wanted to be king of the castle and therefore it was hate at first sight. I'm sure this had far less to do with the basset/Yorkie dynamic than with the fact that both were unneutered males and that Li'l Bit had been in complete charge for so long. If you get them as puppies and if both are fixed or they're different sexes, I have no doubt they'd learn to get along. George got along fine with Rosie, our female pit bull mix (it probably didn't hurt that she was shy and submissive in general) and even tolerated our cat, but he wanted poor Li'l Bit OUT. The feeling was heartily returned by Li'l Bit and we had to keep them separated for the rest of Li'l Bit's life. (baby gates; Li'l Bit got half the house, George got the other half).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I will always suggest to introduce a new dog to your old one at somewhere neutral (eg. front yard, sidewalk, nearby park, etc).

Yorkie could be a bit "bossy" (like all small breed do), but they are cute. But of course, Bassets have selective hearing, so they could pretend deaf when the yorkie bossing him around. :D

Goodluck with your plan.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My SIL has two Yorkies. Male and Female. When Lucy goes over they all just stand there and bark at each other. The Yorkies don't care much for her being on their turf.

Delilah is very bossy and Samson is OCD. LOL

Throw the ball...
Throw the ball...
Throw the ball...

·
Registered
905 Posts
NoTalk, I have a westie and a basset, and IMO,it is NOT a good mix. You may find at first that your Basset is a bit clumsy with the pup and you have to keep a careful eye on them, but these little dogs mature really quickly compared to bassets, and then the boot is on the other foot.

I find Daisy is too quick for Toby. She is like a dart, jumping on and off him,he doesn't enjoy that kind of play, and he is too slow to offer any resistance.He just jerks his head from side to side to try and avoid her.She is also extremely dominant with him.I now put her in a cage whenever they are left together as I don't want him hurting his neck or back with the twisting and turning.

IMO you could not get two more different dogs (terriers and hounds) and if I was to ever get two again, I would definately get ones of equal size and temperament.IMO, these terriers are just too quick and nippy for your average basset.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I know about Yorkies (which I call "Arfie-dogs") is that no matter where we live, they're next door to us. They bark non-stop and drive anyone batty. And yes, there's two next door who bark nonstop when they see us or see Ruby.

This info has nothing to do with anything other than I think they're adorable but only if they had a non-barking personality.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My boss has a Yorkie and a Yellow Lab. The Yorkie, Bella, is two years old and weighs four pounds - about the size of a half-grown kitten. The Lab, Comet, is, well, lab-size. Little Bella is the boss of everyone in the household, including Comet, but it's because she is so sweet and cute. :D

Our Tally and Moe get along wonderfully, despite the big size difference. They play well and enthusiasticly together. Before Tally lost her girlish figure she would squeeze under the loveseat if Moe got too riled up and wait for him to settle down (she lost that girlish figure by eating treats she stole from Moe and hid under that same loveseat to eat later). Moe would be a lot more lazy than he already is if she wasn't around to get him moving. I like having two dogs of different sizes. There is never a dull moment and the fun never stops.

Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts