Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - in reading so much about bassets, I do believe that Sophie is a carrier of yeast! Is that how you would say it? On her first vet visit Sophie had 'yeasty' ears. I now see discoloration in her 'leg pits'. Is that how you say that too? Anyway, she's so great about letting me clean her ears and put drops in. We do this every other, to every couple of days. She's gotten to where I think she more than tolerates it, I think she actually likes having me do it! She'll just lay there so sweet and I do my thing! At 10 weeks old I think she is doing great. Now, if she would do that so I could trim her nails! :) So - I have heard of MSM. What exactly is it and what is y'all's experience with it? We're going to the vet tomorrow, I'm going to ask her - but, nothing beats all the basset expertise. Also, they say to bathe her with Selson Blue - but... it can cause a tingling sensation and may irritate her skin more than it actually helps. At 10 weeks old, I don't want to give her any discomfort. She's such a sweety and I just want her happy. She doesn't scratch all that much, but I have seen her scratch and it's not fleas or anything like that. Her skin is pretty, especially when she's clean and I've never really smelled a strong odor. I do appreciate the information I get on here so much - thanks all of you!

G

·
sophie's mom, there was a discussion on this board about this topic (I think) waaaaay back earlier this year or last year. On it was a recipe of isopropyl alcohol, boric acid powder and gentian violet for yeasty/infected ears. I pulled it and have had wonderful success with my lab/shar pei's ears. (My basset Mitzi does not have those problems, knock on wood!!) According to the post, you can use it for other parts of the body as well. Can you do a search and see if you can find it? Moderators, can you help track it down? I'll try, but my forum skills are a bit rusty/non-existant.
CR

G

·
I'm back again. I found the "Blue Power" recipe on the Spokane basset rescue site. Several folks on Cyberhound have used it with great sucess, according to the search engine. I use it for one of my other dogs. The ingredients are available over the counter, though you may have to have your druggist order them if they are not in stock.
Good luck with the yeast...

http://www.spokanebasset.org/bassetcare.htm

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Suspected ear infections need to be diagnosed and treated by a veterinarian. From CANINE EAR INFECTIONS
There are several kinds of bacteria and at least one type of fungus which might cause an ear infection. Without knowing the kind of infection present, we do not know which drug to use. In some cases, the ear infection may be caused by a foreign body or tumor in the ear canal. Treatment with medication alone will not resolve these problems. Also, the dog must be examined to be sure that the eardrum is intact. Administration of certain medications can result in loss of hearing if the eardrum is ruptured. This determination is made by the veterinarian and must be done in the office.
Just because a product is "over the counter," "all natural," recommended on a rescue website or suggested on Cyberhound doesn't mean it's safe-it might even be contraindicated. Recommending the use of apple cider vinegar for treatment of Pseudomonas is not based on sound veterinary principles. Pseudomonas is a nasty bacteria and needs professional intervention:
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a very special species of bacteria; it is resistant to almost every possible antibiotic. It is common for ear infections to be recurrent and in time, many antibiotics have been used. The unfortunate tendency is for most bacteria to be killed off, leaving infection with the very resistant and practically immortal (not to mention especially smelly) Pseudomonas.

If one if lucky, a culture of the ear discharge will reveal that the Pseudomonas is still sensitive to oral quinolone antibiotics such as enrofloxacin or orbifloxacin. It should be noted that especially high doses of this type of antibiotic are needed to treat Pseudomonas in the ear and that inadequate dosing will just make Pseudomonas even more resistant. In other words, Pseudomonas must be treated definitively from the moment it is diagnosed; once it becomes resistant to oral therapy, treatment becomes vastly more difficult.
If your vet prescribes the use of "Blue Power" after examining your basset that's one thing but doing your own diagnosing and prescribing can be hazardous to your bassets health. :(

[ September 24, 2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:eek: No reprimand intended, Constant reader. My use of the word "you" referred to anyone, even Me. ;) We all just have to be careful with veterinary advise given online.

[ September 24, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts