Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basset, Ralph is over a yr now and has nonstop issues with yeast under his neck and pits as well as left ear. He has been on and off pills, and I use a special shampoo for this. It seems to no longer work. Any ideas on what to do?

Also, he sheds like crazy. I use the furminator and I get a small bucket of fur-daily. If I lightly pull on his fur I get at least 25 stalks in my fingers. Could the yeast be causing this?

He is eating a grain free natural food......

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Could the yeast be causing this?
It is a possibility but far from the only cause. Yeast infection are often secondary to a more primary condition. Trying to adress the yeast issue solely with out addressing the underlying cause is futile.

In bassets Yeast is not always secondary as is the case with most breeds the major primary causes are allergies and seborrhea. Food alergies make up only about 10%^ of allergies in dogs contrary to popular belief. Also it is protein that is the major cause of food allergies the protein the dog has been exposed to the most. Because grains have protein there are instances that dogs become allergic to a particular one but allergied to meats likr beef and chicken are more prevalent.

Shampoo therapy greneral requires a minimium contact time of 15 minutes. If the cause of the yeast is primary seborrhea frequent bathing is the only solution as there is no cure, only control

Most General Practicing vet do not have the cinical expertise to sort through all the possibilities to come up with underlying causes. it is often cheaper and faster to deal with a vet that specializes in dermatology you can get a referral from your vet or take a look below
Find a Dermatologist

1 - 2 of 2 Posts