Basset Hounds Forum banner

Yeast problems. Low fat diet?

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Nelly 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm battling yeast with my basset hound Nelly. I recently went to the vet for her ears and got a prescription. The vet was very slow (2 hours for exam and lab) and wanted another ~$50 to clean her ears on top of the $300 I was already paying, so I decided to do the ear cleaning myself. Thanks to recommendations in this forum, I ordered Oti-Clens ear cleaner, and it's been great for cleaning out earwax. I've used it once so far and will use it several more times before applying the prescription. My hound won't hold still, so it's hard to get all the earwax out in one cleaning, which needs to be done for the prescription to work.

My hound also has armpit (legpit?) areas that look scaly and rash-like. The vet didn't suggest any medication or treatment for it (maybe she was too busy). She also has a few ares between her toes the vet said were yeasty. I ordered the Fresh & Clean oatmeal baking soda shampoo that was recommended in this forum, but I haven't used it yet.

I read online somewhere that dog yeast thrives in fat, not carbohydrates like human yeast does. So I'm wondering, has anyone has gotten rid of yeast through a lower fat diet? I suspect Nelly's yeast problem started when I was using a cheap dog food with a high % of fat. I've noticed canned dog foods are lower in fat, and there are weight management dog foods I'm considering also. I'm currently using Costco mature dog and/or Purina One mixed with a little canned "Chop House" (her favorite).

Is there anyone with a yeast free hound, and if so, what is your hound eating?? And how often is it bathing??

I will check back hopefully soon. Thanks in advance for your replies!

See less See more
#2 ·
We have been in that battle for a year now. Tried everything. Yeast under arms, on back of back legs, ears. Keto flush was the only ear thing that worked for her. Nothing the vet gave us or suggested worked so I started looking for simple solutions that did not irritate (and most do). I came up with Cetaphil baby wash, use it every day and it keeps it at bay. The other help was getting her cytopoint injections to help with general itching. Lifesaver, especially in this heat (we are in pollen, yellow dust season here). As for the low-fat diet, I can get back to you on that. She started this a month ago (bout of pancreatitis) and we will see if it affects the yeast. Good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
"I read online somewhere that dog yeast thrives in fat, not carbohydrates like human yeast does. " Complete and under nonsense the only time diet makes a difference is if there is a food allergy causing an allergic reaction which help allow yeast to flourish. In basset hounds because of loose skin and floppy ears yeast can flourish in these protected moist areas. Bassets are also prone to a genetic skin disease that often goes undiagnosed know as seborrhea. If the basset coat tends toward oily and has dandruff you can rest assured it has seborrhea which has no cure but can be controlled with frequent bathing in antiseborrheic shampoo like Selsun blue
Seborrhea in Dogs: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment.

For dealing with proliferation of yeast there is usually a primary cause, allergies, skin issue like the one mentioned above , but as I said earlier there are physical characteristic that make a basset more prone as well. Personally I like overall treatment along with spot treatment of the problem areas. but try and avoid using oral antifungals unless absolutely necessary.
1. Frequent bathing with antifungal shampoo. either miconizole
Amazon.com: Davis Miconazole Pet Shampoo, 1-Gallon
or ketoconozole
Amazon.com: Davis KetoHexidine Shampoo Pets, 12 oz
or better yet alternate between both to avoid creating a resistant fungal infection. The most important parts to remember abut these shampoos is theses shampoos do not clean really well. If the dog is dirty was with a regular shampoo first. 2. make sure you work the shampoo to the skin and it has a minimum contact time of 10 minutes. 3. Skin irritation from frequent shampooing is not cause by the frequent shampooing it is caused by inadequate rinsing. rule of thumb is to rinse twice as long as it takes to get a clear running stream ie no visible shampoo residue My experience in the grooming salon is the Ketohex cleans and lathers better and has antibacterial chlorhexidine as well so it is generally our first choice with dogs with active yeast infections. For dogs prone to yeast infections but not currently having one either Colloidal Oat meal or a hypoallergenic enzymatic shampoo like Pet Shampoos : Amazon.com: Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo for Dogs and Cats, 12oz

diet
it is the protein source in a diet that causes allergies. look at any bag of dog food you will not find carbohydrates listed because the are no essential for dogs, Dogs are designed for a high fat diet. There are a number of disease exacerbated by high fat diets pancreatitis mention above is one. but the cause is not a high fat diet it is more like the result of damage done from a high carbohydrate one. The dogs that we have had that have atopic allergies which int urn cause yeast infections have not responded to dietary changes. Which makes sense because diet was not the issue in the first place. Frequent bathing can help with certain atopic allergies because it removes the allergen from skin contact.

2. between bath rinse with distilled vinegar which is quite antimicrobial and gentle and help with dog skin ph balance

3. antifungal powders like atheletes foot powder help dry and treat fungal infections in moist skin folds like arm pits.

4 shaving trim hair between toes and pads of feet to increase air circulation and ease application of treatments

5. use anti fungal ointment where practical and powder dose not work (athlete foot, monistat etc)

6. Yeast infection to to be very itch so using an itch relieve Lidocaine never benzocaine can help prevent skin abrasion from scratching that makes things worse. Amazon.com : Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz) : Pet Shampoos : Pet Supplies

7 Itch Relief - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center

#10 ·
1. Frequent bathing with antifungal shampoo. either miconizole
Amazon.com: Davis Miconazole Pet Shampoo, 1-Gallon
or ketoconozole
Amazon.com: Davis KetoHexidine Shampoo Pets, 12 oz
or better yet alternate between both to avoid creating a resistant fungal infection. The most important parts to remember abut these shampoos is theses shampoos do not clean really well. If the dog is dirty was with a regular shampoo first. 2. make sure you work the shampoo to the skin and it has a minimum contact time of 10 minutes. 3. Skin irritation from frequent shampooing is not cause by the frequent shampooing it is caused by inadequate rinsing. rule of thumb is to rinse twice as long as it takes to get a clear running stream ie no visible shampoo residue My experience in the grooming salon is the Ketohex cleans and lathers better and has antibacterial chlorhexidine as well so it is generally our first choice with dogs with active yeast infections. For dogs prone to yeast infections but not currently having one either Colloidal Oat meal or a hypoallergenic enzymatic shampoo like Pet Shampoos : Amazon.com: Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo for Dogs and Cats, 12oz

diet
it is the protein source in a diet that causes allergies. look at any bag of dog food you will not find carbohydrates listed because the are no essential for dogs, Dogs are designed for a high fat diet. There are a number of disease exacerbated by high fat diets pancreatitis mention above is one. but the cause is not a high fat diet it is more like the result of damage done from a high carbohydrate one. The dogs that we have had that have atopic allergies which int urn cause yeast infections have not responded to dietary changes. Which makes sense because diet was not the issue in the first place. Frequent bathing can help with certain atopic allergies because it removes the allergen from skin contact.

2. between bath rinse with distilled vinegar which is quite antimicrobial and gentle and help with dog skin ph balance

3. antifungal powders like atheletes foot powder help dry and treat fungal infections in moist skin folds like arm pits.

4 shaving trim hair between toes and pads of feet to increase air circulation and ease application of treatments

5. use anti fungal ointment where practical and powder dose not work (athlete foot, monistat etc)

6. Yeast infection to to be very itch so using an itch relieve Lidocaine never benzocaine can help prevent skin abrasion from scratching that makes things worse. Amazon.com : Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch Relief Spray for Dogs and Cats – Medicated Topical Treatment for Skin Irritations and Hot Spots - Fast Acting, Heals and Soothes (8oz) : Pet Shampoos : Pet Supplies

7 Itch Relief - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center
Thanks for all the great information! I thought my topic never posted, but I do appreciate it still because the problem is ongoing. I bought Purina Healthy Weight very recently... just opened the bag about a week ago, but that's because I've give the dog chicken skins at least once a week when I'm making soup, and I thought she was eating too much fat.

#4 ·
"Fresh & Clean oatmeal baking soda shampoo" is a fine choice once you get the yeast infection undercontrol but not so much when looking to clear it up use an antifungal shampoo i Have to links to the brand we use in the grooming shop.

Most commonly yeast overgrowth results when the skin is responding to allergy. This will alter the oil production and water content of the skin and change the barrier function of the skin to allow for yeast overgrowth. Hormone imbalances such as hypothyroidism also can alter the skin barrier so that yeast proliferate. There is usually an underlying skin issue that started the yeast infection and yeast infections will likely be a recurrent problem if the underlying skin issue is not controlled.
Malassezia infections are not contagious.

The following breeds are predisposed genetically to yeast infections: the West Highland White Terrier, Basset hound, Cocker spaniel, Silky terrier, Australian terrier, Maltese, Chihuahua, Poodle, Shetland sheepdog, Lhasa apso, and the Dachshund.
the article also details treatment but you will find it pretty much mirrors my protocol above of note what do we mean by frequent bathing "The pet must be bathed twice a week to start and the shampoo requires a 10 minute contact time (meaning do not rinse the lather for 10 minutes). "

#9 ·
2. BLUE Life Protection Formula Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Food for Adult Dogs @ 24% protein diet is medium to medium low protein level certainly not a high protein diet. Personal I do not feed anything less than 26% protein and most of get 30% or Higher.

Working Basset hounds are endurance athletes not sprinters so a high fat. high protein low carb diet it is best for them with the one caveat the is no such thing as a low carb kibble because to form kibble the minium starch level is over 20% and most commercial dogs food is much higher well over 50% which is not nutrionally required for dogs.

Thank you for that info very helpful so we r trying apoquell for a month also with a shot of prednisone. I called a dermatologist and it is 200.00 just for the first appt! I know they r good docs but we can't afford it right now and prob never. We have tried apoquell but only for 5 days...so we will see. I do give her yougert on a daily basis I honestly. Think it helps! We quit for about 1 week and this bad episode came on so back on the greek yogurt! Ty!!!

#7 ·
High protein is not bad but 99.999 % of food allergies are to protein usually the one the dog is exposed to the most. Keep in mind these allergies do not occur in most dogs just those with a genetic predisposition to do so. For most dogs any food over 32% protein on a dry wt basis is not any more beneficial than a lower protein diet The excepts are Older/elderly dogs that need higher protein level to maintain muscle mass,. and athletic dogs/working dogs need it to repair muscles and other soft tissue from work. Under 32% protein dog start to see an increasing more significant risk of soft tissue injury ie strains and sprains . Earlier notion that high protein diet is hard on the kidney's has been shown to be untrue. only with sever renal failure low protein diet recommend. in the beginning stages a higher protein, meat based protein is actually helpful.

#8 ·
2. BLUE Life Protection Formula Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Food for Adult Dogs @ 24% protein diet is medium to medium low protein level certainly not a high protein diet. Personal I do not feed anything less than 26% protein and most of get 30% or Higher.

Working Basset hounds are endurance athletes not sprinters so a high fat. high protein low carb diet it is best for them with the one caveat the is no such thing as a low carb kibble because to form kibble the minium starch level is over 20% and most commercial dogs food is much higher well over 50% which is not nutrionally required for dogs.

#12 ·

My basset is glad to eat anything, carbs or not. I will check my dog food and try for 30% protein or higher. I usually stick with large dog food companies because I figure they have good research and development based on customer feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.