Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if this is normal. Snoopy suffers with a Yeast infection (ears and paws) which we give her a sachet each day in her food which totally clears up any sign of the ear problems. She still has pink bits under her front arm pits (not sure of techincal term!) and i use a dry shampoo wipe on these twice a week for her.

But over the past few weeks we have noticed she is now gettting the same pinkness which is under her arm pits is now appearing on her neck (where her collar is). the collar is definately not too small for her - there is plenty of room even on the tightest notch. it seems to have appeared where she was slightly shaved when she got spayed in mid December.

i was just wondering if it is normal to have a yeast infection there too as i know it happens in fold and joints and i suppose her loose skin does fold over quite a bit on the neck.

she's had a yeast infection on her skin for about six months now and is on treatment - do these ever clear up? - she doesnt seem bothered as far as we can tell.

also we do have our heating on quite alot even though its not been a very cold winter for us (only one frost all winter!) - is this not helping the problem? should i keep the heating off as much as possible to help her recovery from it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I can just speak from my experience with Murray.

When he was a pup, I used a collar on him, and this seemed to create a yeast problem under his neck where his skin folds are. I don't use a collar on him anymore, we use a harness when we go for walks.

He gets a big spoon of plain Dannon yogurt with every meal, and I think that has helped keep things to a minimum. I also dust under his arms and neck a couple of times each week with Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder- that seems to help keep yeast-prone areas dry and cuts down on the problem. If I notice a flare up, I wipe with Maleseb flush which I get from the vet.

I think it is just an on-going problem that never clears up completely- just part of general basset maintenance! :p

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is just an on-going problem that never clears up completely- just part of general basset maintenance! :p[/b]
Thought so. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advise. I will get down the supermarket tomorrow to get some Dannon yoghrt and will get hold of some of that powder.

C B)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
One other thought- I don't use the Gold Bond Medicated Baby powder on sore or raw areas- when things are in that state, I use Genticin spray which I get from the vet. It is an antibacterial/cortisone spray that heals things quickly. When things are healed, I use the routine I mentioned above with powder and Malaseb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts