Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 4yr old basset has a bad yeast infection under his armpits. He scraches and licks it so much and now is vomiting here and there. I have been feeding him yogurt and also putting powder on it. I also give him Benedryl. What else can I do to help him?

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Yeast infections often are secondary to a more primary cause like allergies or sehborrhea with out clear up the fprimary cause it is next to impossible to clear up the yeast infection. In such cases most general practitioner vets are not well versed, skilled or successful sorting through dermalogical issue which is why a reccommend consulting with a vet that sepecializes in this area.
Find a dermatologist

the following can be helpful if the do is licking the area it is likely to make it worse. you have a couple options
1 A typical plastic cone elizibethean collar.

2. they make e collars that are more like cervical neck braces some are inflateable other are just foam for many dog this more comfortable and still protect the dog from reach the vulnerable spot but they are more expensive.

3. remove the reason the dog lick ie pain, itch with a topical anelgesic if the area is sensitive a spray works best. Do not use a anelgesic designed for humans that contains benzocaine it is harmful to dogs. You need a anelgesic design for dog or one that cotains exclusively lidocane. These topical anelgesics are typical markest as itch relievers or insect sting/bite relievers. These can be used multiple times a day as needed

4. Us hydrocortozone cream. for pain itch relief. steriods are the most effective agent for most itch related to allergies. topical agent like hydrocortzone creams have much fewer adverse effect compared to oral seteriods like prednisone.

5. Kill the yeast fungus with topical anti-micorbials. If the skin is broken avoid alcohol but if not it can be effective and acts like a drying agent as well providing an environment lest hosptiable for yeast/fungus

Vinegar/acetic acid is a powerful antimicrobial either alone or in conjuction with alcohol and or boric acid. Dermapet makes a pet wipe "malacetic" that is a acetic acid boric acid combo but you can make your own as well

Rather than baby powder any atheletes foot powder besides drying the area contains anti-fungal ingredients fugus=yeast=fungus/

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
don't know if its proper, but used to use some gold bond on austin.
it dried him out and cooled him down.

oh, and it was like a big ole belly rub in the process. ha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts