Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
This is probably something you've all encountered or experienced having a basset...
I am at my witts end and im sure my "Buck" is too.
I cannot emphasize enough how many things we have tried, from 100's of dollars at the vets buying cleaner, antibiotics etc...
We have tried apple cider,vinegar, hydrocortisone,monistat and zymox and nothing seems to be clearing up our 18 month olds bassets yeast ear infection...
If you even as much as brush by him he wimpers ands cries and we feel horrible...otherwise he his cheery, happy and very playful.
We were told by the vet to eliminate corn as an ingredient in his food which we did right away, (no luck)
We would GREATLY appreciate ANY info or advice for our little guy, we love him dearly....

Thanks, Kris and Terry

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry he is so miserable. My kids haven't had many yeast ear infections but do get yeast around the mouth and between the toes. My Rusty is a huge drooler and all that wetness sitting on his front paws reaks havoc between the toes. They get red and smelly. I use Malesab Pledgets twice weekly to clean between each finger. It works great but I have to keep up with it.

Also he gets red, inflamed lips which smell from the yeast that becomes pyoderma. EVERYNIGHT!! I use a Malesab Pledget on his mouth each side to clean the area before bed. We do this immediately after brushing his teeth. He doesn't fuss because it's a routine he knows.

His Vet said to stay away from corn, beef, chicken & lamb. SO he eats Eagle Pack Holistic Select either Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon or Duck & Oatmeal. I do alternate once he became use to this food. I do the same routine with my female Stickers. THe food switch has helped alot. I've seen a great improvement with both of them since starting the food and Malesab routine. I did have to do antibiotics initially. I hope some of this information helps you.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
You mentioned that he was on antibiotics at one point- did he have a bacterial infection as well as a yeast problem? I'm wondering if the vet is sure there's no bacterial infection right now-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi am new here... I usually post on the daily drool. I have 2 bassets one male and one female. My male gets really yeasty ears and we had a terrible time with him last summer. One of the members on the drool turned me onto blue powder ear treatment. I have used it for quite a while now and he hasn't had any ear trouble since. It is a combination of isopropyl alcohol, gentian violet and boric acid. If you research it online there is quite a bit of information. Hope that helps.
Katie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree 100% with the Blue Powder cure!! Google it to get the exact recipe - next time I make a batch I'll have to re-google since I've lost the recipe. It works very well - Rufus hasn't had an ear infection since I've started using it. You can get all the ingredients at any drug store like CVS.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
1. Besure the ears have been cultured and it is an yeast infection, Often a yeast infection is assumed, a bacterial infection will not as common can be much harder to resolve.

2. Recurring yeast infection are often the sign of a unerlying condition. I don't know why but the assumption is If a dog has an allergies it is food related. 10% or less of all dog allergies are food related. Atigen and skin test have proven rather effective at identifying atopic allergies. If you vet is not comfortable with allergy testing consider a referal to a vet dermatologist/

3. IMHO one of the most under diagnosed condition in basset hound leading to reurrent yeat infections is seborrhea. Again see 2 about a referal to a dermatogist.

4. there is a reason you don't see gentian violet use in human medicine routinely. I would be reluctant personal to use it routinely on a dog as well

<a href="http://www.jem.org/cgi/reprint/18/5/579" target="_blank">THE TOXICITY OF GENTIAN VIOLET AND ITS FATE
IN THE ANIMAL BODY.*</a>

Chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity studies of gentian violet in mice.

MSDS Gentian Violet

Chronic toxicity/carcinogenicity studies of gentian violet in Fischer 344 rats: two-generation exposure.

Evaluation of the genotoxicity of gentian violet in bacterial and mammalian cell systems

<a href="http://journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ymai/medline/record/MDLN.745616" target="_blank">Cytogenetic toxicity of gentian
violet and crystal violet on mammalian cells in vitro</a>
"It was concluded that this compound is a mitotic poison as well as a clastogen in vitro. Its clastogenic property was confirmed in 5 other different mammalian cel types. 10 samples of different gentian violet and crystal violet were surveyed and all were shown to be clastogenic. Unless in vivo studies prove otherwise, gentian violet and crystal violet should be regarded as biohazardous substances."

Personally I have had good success with Panalog

·
Registered
16 Posts
We use a solution similar to the blue power one, but instead of using gentian violet we use betadine antiseptic. Does the job and if you get it on anything it's more of a harmless iced tea color instead of blue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts