Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old hound has been having accidents almost daily for a good while now. I've been patient. Recently I've started keeping her in the cage when I'm not home. She won't have accidents in her cage. Currently what I'm trying is when she has an accident, I put her in her cage until it's time to use the bathroom again. When she goes outside she gets lots of praise and treats and gets access to the house until it's time to go to the bathroom again or she has another accident.

I've been doing this for almost a month now and I don't see any progress. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was she having accidents before? If not, what changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've trained both my hounds the same way and this one just can't seem to get the hang of it. No change. She just doesn't want to let me know when to go or just decides to go on her own schedule. I feed them at 6 oclock on the dot. PM and AM. Then after food time it's time to go outside for a bit. And I'll take them out when I get home or noonish. We can go for days without accidents if she stays in her cage when I'm not home and when it's time for bed. The accidents usually happened in the middle of the night and sometimes in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I think before you do anything re re-training, you really need to rule out a medical issue there. UTIs are quite common, especially amongst dogs who are already low to the ground. Collect some of her urine and take it, fresh, with her to your vet. She can't help what's going on if she has a uti, or even bladder stones.

This could be because she's simply unhappy at being alone although if you have other hounds, that shouldn't apply.

You mention putting her in her crate after she's had an accident - a crate should never be used as any form of punishment. It should be the one safe place, for any dog. Basic rule, which if she's not your first hound, is to give a ton of praise when after TAKING her out (so you see what she does out there) and she empties. If after say 5 mins. outside when you know she should need to empty, she doesn't - bring her back indoors but keep her in the room by the outside door and stay with her (don't give her the run of the house to use as a toilet). When she squats - say NO! and take her straight back outside. Correct ONLY in the act. Clean up mistakes without comment - she'll be noting your body language.

I am assuming this is only urination - with bowel movements (and I've known dogs 'wring it out as a form' of protest if they are unhappy) she should have a need for that as many times as the number of meals she's having each day - maybe plus one. Assuming she doesn't have diarrohoa which is a different matter entirely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think before you do anything re re-training, you really need to rule out a medical issue there. UTIs are quite common, especially amongst dogs who are already low to the ground. Collect some of her urine and take it, fresh, with her to your vet. She can't help what's going on if she has a uti, or even bladder stones.

This could be because she's simply unhappy at being alone although if you have other hounds, that shouldn't apply.

You mention putting her in her crate after she's had an accident - a crate should never be used as any form of punishment. It should be the one safe place, for any dog. Basic rule, which if she's not your first hound, is to give a ton of praise when after TAKING her out (so you see what she does out there) and she empties. If after say 5 mins. outside when you know she should need to empty, she doesn't - bring her back indoors but keep her in the room by the outside door and stay with her (don't give her the run of the house to use as a toilet). When she squats - say NO! and take her straight back outside. Correct ONLY in the act. Clean up mistakes without comment - she'll be noting your body language.

I am assuming this is only urination - with bowel movements (and I've known dogs 'wring it out as a form' of protest if they are unhappy) she should have a need for that as many times as the number of meals she's having each day - maybe plus one. Assuming she doesn't have diarrohoa which is a different matter entirely.
It's both. Sometimes it's just pee. Sometimes just a poop.

I'll make a change about the crate thing.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'll give this a try. Never thought to train the dog to let me know to go outside.
I always dictated the going out - that way I knew exactly what was going on (go with them), and when and Bassets are not stupid - many learn that 'ringing a bell' = being let outside, whether or not they have a need to empty!!

Our back door is generally open so mine could come and go but with bad weather, when the door had to be shut, I knew when Frankie wanted out - his presence wasn't there so I'd go look for him, and he'd be lying in the kitchen by the door, sending me telepathic 'I need out' messages. Teazel Whippet, who I KNOW can hold for a very long time, just goes out when I know she should need to.

(Having a hard time, again, re Frankie as the apple tree is dropping it's apples. He always grabbed the biggest and proudly strutted in with it and laid it on his bed, looking at me to pick it up and cut it up for him (so he didn't get the pits). This is the first year he's not been here to do that. His apples are waiting :cry:. )

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had problems potty training my female basset and thought maybe I was too stupid to train a dog- used the bell from the time she was 10 weeks old and it took her until about 1.2-1.3 years before she stopped having accidents in the house. She understood how to use the bell but would just let loose at night in the house for no reason and use the bell during the day quite happily. I finally started mandating when she should go outside if she didn’t ring the bell and since then no accidents. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One of our rescues, who was potty trained, would always pee in the laundry room when we arrived back after being gone. Separation anxiety. But out of four bassets, three of them rescues, our current baby is completely trained (I had nothing to do with it-she came that way) and has never, ever had an in house accident and she is high anxiety/separation. So who knows what goes on in their little heads?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts