Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family just got our first bassethound and she just turned 8weeks today and all she ever wants to do is eat . There are times were she will just keep eating and make her self sick . How much should i feed her? I feed her when she gets up and a lil before she goes to bed but to her thats not enough..... HELP :shock: [/b]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Puppies this young should be fed a minimum of 3 times/day. If she still seems hungry and can't take in enough nutrition in 3 meals, she should get 4. At about 4 months, you can try cutting back to 3 meals/day, and at about 6 months, you can try cutting back to 2 meals/day. She should also be checked for conditions, such as worms, that impair her ability to adequately absorb nutrients.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shes been looked at for worms and the vet said shes in great shape. She just realy loves her food. I give her a dry and wet mix 2 times a day.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
As Betsy says your pup needs to eat 3-4 times a day. She's getting sick because she's eating too much and likely too fast at each feeding. She shouldn't eat more than a cup per feeding so needs to eat 3-4 times a day in order to get enough food. If she were my pup I start with 3 cups and spread that out into 4 meals/day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks! I give her about a cup of dry and wet mix each time she eats. and as for house brakeing she is doing so good she might have 1 opps a day and thats it.

B

·
0 Posts
YaYa is a puppy. spreading meals sounds good. I'm writing this advice down for when I get my own. Have fun. :D . Tummy Boy's Mom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts