Basset Hounds Forum banner

Wrinkles or no?

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Vectisvagrant 
#1 ·
I posted in another section so I thought it might be better here. My 9.5 month boy is 50 lbs and nicely toned and loves to walk and play and we keep an eye on eating so weight is no issue.

He does not have the wrinkled skin and heavy drooped eyes that often are the basset traits. Is this a luck of the draw thing or is there a type that is more of this type of look? We love him of course but the wrinkled ones are awesome too.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Without being unduly critical, when I saw another photo you posted I felt he was what we might call a little 'dry' in terms of head furnishings. This isn't a luck of the draw thing in terms of what a breeder should be producing (may be with a buyer!). Breeders should be breeding to the Breed Standard and the Standard suggests a degree of loose skin in this breed is desirable, even if exaggeration in that area, isn't. Ditto for the shape of the eye although of course, the amount of wrinkle a hound has will affect how much 'droop' the hound has, or doesn't have.

Fact is some Bassets don't necessarily conform to the Standard. As long as you love your hound and he's fit and healthy, you can't ask for more of a pet really.

#4 · (Edited)
the other question we often get is at what age do the wrinkles develop . it like um if they don't have them as a puppy you can be pretty assured as an adult they won't have them as well.

Loose skin is helpful in tough cover, i.e. briars, as the skin does not tare like happens with taut skinned dogs. The call for Wrinkles , is very limited in the AKC standard

" The skin over the whole of the head is loose,
falling in distinct wrinkles over the brow when the head is lowered."

"The forelegs are short, powerful, heavy in bone, with
wrinkled skin"

so Wrinkles on the forelegs and on the head when the head it tipped down not when carried level.

http://www.basset.net/boards/basset-hound-conformation-breeding/49721-hermione-new-champion.html
hermione is not heavily wrinkled as say Vina
http://www.basset.net/boards/basset-hound-conformation-breeding/28370-vinas-new-ch-photo.html

While There may not be a genetic link IMHO Large bassets and Bassets with more bone tend to have looser skin hence more wrinkles than smaller finer boned specimens.

Wrinkles however can have some health consequences. They tend to trap moisture which makes the area more prone to yeast and bacterial skin infections.

#5 ·
Wrinkles however can have some health consequences. They tend to trap moisture which makes the area more prone to yeast and bacterial skin infections.
No kiddin. Frankie's front legs are driving me nuts just now. He's lick, lick and making the leg on one side quite sore. He's a big hound, heavily boned, although his skin isn't unduly loose compared to some I've seen of late.

#7 ·
Frankie is a handsome fellow! I found my Freddy on the side of the highway 12 or 13 years ago. The doctor said he was 5 years old. He passed away suddenly Sunday August 21st, 2016 at 10:15pm. He was around 17 years old. It just isn't the same without him. Maybe one day I can rescue another Bassett. A home is not a home without a Bassett!! I will try to attach a photo of my dear Fred

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.