Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I joined this forum because my fiancé and I bought a basset hound puppy and he will be flying to get her on July 8 when she will be 8 weeks old. I grew up with four basset hounds but this will be the first time I have my own puppy and I really want to take care of her right and make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep her healthy. I'm not really sure what I should feed her and how often to at her age. Do you guys recommend dry or wet food? Also what brand should I use? I know there are some brands to stay away from. Is there any 'human' food I should feed her? Her breeder said that she currently is weaning her and feeding her fresh farm scrambled eggs in combination with wet food. I just want to make sure I'm feeding her right! I would really appreciate the advice. Thank you guys so much in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
She will tell you what food she likes, and when that changes, but do not allow her to decide how much. Mine liked a variety of wet with a half a cup of dry on top. She also loves apple, banana and melon. Whenever we have a pork joint, she gets a slice of crackling, but otherwise, do not give her human food , otherwise she will then ignore dog food.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Feeding frequency should be a minimium of twice a day we are general at 3 times a day and don't drop to twice a day till puppy starts skipping a meal. You want to talk to breeder and match their feeding schedule. General the breeder know what works for their line and that is were you should start with the feeding. I would Highly recommend what ever the brand that it is specifically a Large breed puppy formula to start which controls the calcium levels and calcium /phosphorous ration for proper bone development. Contrary to popular belief too much calcium is harmful to proper bone development never supplement with calcium or give treats with high calcium content until the puppy is older than at least six months of age. New puppy foods are adding DHA for brain and neural development. You can do this yourself as well with fish oil.

"Calcium is needed for strong bones, but is harmful in excess. Pups, unlike adult dogs, cannot adequately regulate how much dietary calcium they absorb from the intestinal tract. Sometimes they absorb and retain too much calcium which can cause skeletal malformations.

Excess calcium also causes deficiencies in other needed nutrients, like phosphorus. Calcium and phosphorus work together and a proper calcium to phosphorus ratio is important for healthy bones and joints. The calcium phosphorus ratios in your pup’s diet should be between 1:1 and 1.3: Large breed pups eating balanced diets containing recommended amounts of calcium should not be given calcium supplements. "

That said much more important than the nuances nutrition is Socialization and Habituation lack proper socialization is the number one cause of dog deaths under the age of 3

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had adult bassets previously, puppies re completely different! Our 8 week old puppy was a tornado of destruction and loved to bite our ears. He was also very cute and slept a lot in between craziness. So just be prepared with baby gates, fences and nothing at ground level that you don’t want chewed. My rug has holes in it from sneaky chewing, he ate socks, face masks, paper towels, napkins and anything else he could possibly get is mouth on. My vet recommended Science Diet large breed puppy food. It was fine for awhile but then hard to find. After he was neutered I switched to Stella and Chewy beef because he was having ear troubles and the vet thought he might be allergic to chicken. So far so good with the new food. People food he gets are carrots, apples, and ice cubes. At 10 months we were able to remove the baby gates but we still use a pen in the living room for when we leave him alone and a crate at night. He still grabs socks but will drop it when asked nicely! Also, before I could take him for walks we would sit at the end of the driveway and wait for people to walk by, it was a great way to get some socialization and meet other dog owners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts