Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

some advise please...

have just spotted a lump on snoopy my 12 month old basset.

when feeling her ribcage its at the back on the right side. it feels like tis commected to the ribcage?

its doesnt hurt her for us to stroke her. she is walking fine and running fast. its not effecting her at all as far as we can see.

it pokes out when she turns to the left you can see it very clearly.

she's quite a slim Basset (40lbs) so i think it shows up more.

should i be worried? can anyone suggest what it might be?

we have an appointment at the vets this evening.

i hope she's ok...

Thanks

Clare

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Betsy Iole

I feel better now you have said flanged rib.

i've never heard of it. i just assumed the worst.

we will obviously still be going to vet tonight to get it checked out.

I have discovered websites saying the flanged ribs are faults in a basset but can it cause problems? i cant seem to find much about it online?

hopfully the vet should tell us more.

i will also inform the breader about this as she should'nt be breading dogs with hereditary problems. we paid £750 for Snoopy and didnt expect to get any faults like this!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all for your comments.

we are very relieved to know snoopy has an extra half rib!

seems we've only noticed it as she has lost 2kg over the past month or so, so its shows up a bit more!

we had a different vet to normal and snoopy loved her! she was a lovely Scottish lady.

we also had the kennel cough vaccination whilst she was there which she didn’t mind having one bit - she's one very brave, healthy and well behaved basset!

thanks for all your concern

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.