Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if Max has worms.

I just went out to pick up his current poop and noticed there were what looked like.....bean roots in it? Some kind of plant sprout. They were whitish and not tiny. They looked like good sized sprouts. They were not moving. I noticed the same thing when I found another poop (I pick up everything right away, but sometimes my kids don't) that was dry and it had the same thing in it--sprout like and not moving.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

I just went out to pick up his current poop and noticed there were what looked like.....bean roots in it? Some kind of plant sprout. They were whitish and not tiny. They looked like good sized sprouts. They were not moving. I noticed the same thing when I found another poop (I pick up everything right away, but sometimes my kids don't) that was dry and it had the same thing in it--sprout like and not moving.

Any ideas?
Roundworms are usually described as spaghetti. But my best advice would be to take a stool sample to your vet and ask him to run a fecal so you know exactly what your hound has, and get the correct treatment. At the same time, have him check for protozoa (like Guardia).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you!

No, I haven't given him anything recently.

Yes, it does look like spaghetti noodles. This morning I saw two, yesterday it was more. Ugh. Makes me a little sick to my stomach because I don't want my kids to get them!

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
because of the numbers we have we periodical deworm with Safeguard goat formula (Fenbendazole = PANCUR) you need 1o times the doseage rate for dogs than that of goats

https://www.vetinfo.com/treating-canine-parasites-fenbendazole-dogs.html

Deworming Puppies – Fenbendazole Dosage Chart- Aussiedoodle and Labradoodle Puppies | Best Labradoodle Breeders in Washington State, Portland, Oregon

it can found at tractor supply. that said unless being used as a preventive you should consult your vet before administering.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
You said he isn't on Heartguard-is Max on any monthly heartworm medicine?- I think most heartworm products help with intestinal worms too, but heartworm in itself is horrible and Max should be on a monthly dose for protection.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My boy pooped out what I thought was a huge worm! it looked like a long piece of tagliatelle pasta it was sticky and would break up. I bagged it and took it to the vet he told me it was stomach or intestine linings..... I gave him yoghurt for a few days and he didnt poop it out again. Really weird !

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My boy pooped out what I thought was a huge worm! it looked like a long piece of tagliatelle pasta it was sticky and would break up. I bagged it and took it to the vet he told me it was stomach or intestine linings..... I gave him yoghurt for a few days and he didnt poop it out again. Really weird !
I think, despite taking what you found to your vet, you really should have a fecal done. Collect some of his stool and ask your vet to run one, including for protozoa (like Giardia). That way you should know what he has, and what he doesn't have! Even if a dog is clear at one point, doesn't mean he can't pick up worms again! Especially if he gets into wild animals, cats pooh and so on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Intestinal worms, also known as parasitic worms, are one of the main types of intestinal parasites.
Some types of intestinal worms, such as tapeworms, may disappear on their own if you have a strong immune system and healthy diet and lifestyle. However, depending on the type of intestinal worm infection, one may require treatment with an antiparasitic medication. Ivermectin is used to treat worm infections.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Any ideas?
They might be whipworms from eating dirt outside. Our bassets had them and we started using Inteceptor that helped with that as well. But yes, get a stool sample first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts