Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm at it, I want to ask your advice. We adopted Miss Daisy from SPAC several months ago. She is very well behaved and house broken. She is 6 or 7 years old. We don't know her history. Ever since we have had her, she will not play with any kind of toys, No bones, balls, frisbie, etc. I have even tried to use balls with milk bones inside. Nothing interest her. I would really like for her to play ball or frisbie since I am in poor heath and can't walk her . We have a large fenced back yard to play in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Miss Daisy and her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dear Chloe is not a "player" either! We adopted her at 6.5 years of age and it is a RARE occasion that she will chase a ball or play with a toy. That said, she will play with other dogs. (Or would, in her younger years.)

The rare occasions that she plays with toys is usually brought upon by watching another dog play with a toy and she wants to get into the action. But, it never lasts longer than a minute.

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm not sure all dogs really care for toys. Mine sure doesn't!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
When we got Gibbs like a 1 1/2 years ago or so he wouldn't play (with toys, us, or Lily) wasn't at all affectionate he was just kind of here. As time has moved on he's become very playful (with toys, us, and Lily) and affectionate. Your Daisy might not like toys or she just may need more time (though it seems like a long time to us, to me rescue dogs just take longer to warm up).

~Heather

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:p
Thank you both! We will keep trying. Daisy is friendly and seems well adjusted (most of the time). We will keep her toys within reach waiting for the right time.
Many howls to you all,

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Ever since we have had her, she will not play with any kind of toys, No bones, balls, frisbie, etc. I have even tried to use balls with milk bones inside. Nothing interest her. I would really like for her to play ball or frisbie since I am in poor heath and can't walk her[/b]
The vast majority of bassets are not toy motivated but there are some technique and toys out there that can help

First off the following article is a big help in geting a dog interested in toys. Especially bassethound. Not the special technique used by incorprating a basset higher than ussual food motivation to a toy. i.e. boiling in flavored broth.

HOW TO CREATE A MOTIVATING TOY

you can try this tip from Cleanrun magizine feature my basset Macey

Cleanrun also has a number of toys specifical designed to allow food to be put in them to make them more attractive to food motivated dogs as well
see food stuffable Jackpot Toys One of which is a soft flying disk. I have found the rabbit puched tug toy quite effect as a thrown toy for agility traing because it has tow attractant the natural bunny fur and food. The one thing is the velcro seal can be so strong the dog get fustrated and gives up. I don't fully press both side to gether so the dog van work it snout into the open and get it fully open without having to chew a hole through it. Access to food stuffable toys must be fully supervised just like Flavored ones to prevent incestion accidents.

One thing of note with food tuff toys I find unless you also instill a desire to tug as well I have never been able to get a resonable retrieve.

Tug of War
Dog owners have been admonished for decades to never play tug of war with their dogs because of the risk of it increasing aggression and/or dominance in the dog. Even many dog resource people such as breeders, trainers and veterinarians caution against this game. This is partly a failure to discriminate between agonistic behavior (conflict resolution & defensive aggression) and predatory behavior. Also, many people have issues about witnessing intensity. Intensity is not aggression, however.[/b]

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When I rescued my sweet Stomps, he didn't know how to play. The story I got from the rescue was that he'd basically been tied up in a backyard for the first two or three years of his life, so I'm sure he never was played with. He didn't even really know how to run. After a while, he was doing everything Lightning was doing (including biting the heads off dandelions :lol: ), but Stomps was never a "player". Occasionally he would toss a tennis ball up in the air and chase it, but that was it. He never liked chew toys either. Lightning is the opposite. When he was younger he enjoyed playing fetch (now he enjoys watching me throw the ball and then stomp off to retrieve it myself), and he loves chew toys (and gloves). So it very much depends on the dog and how he or she was raised. The rescues do evolve over time, but your little girl probably will prefer to just be with her new family over chasing or playing with toys.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Of my nine, only one is interested in toys, and only select stuffed toys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fred, my last basset was extremely playful, almost all his life he was playful. Until he was around 9 or 10 years of age he slowed down and stopped being playful. His favorite toy was his tugging rope. He took care of it and was always playing with it. He didn't just play with his toys but he also loved to play with the family in the backyard or in the house. Charlie also loves to play non stop as well!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fred, my last basset was extremely playful, almost all his life he was playful. Until he was around 9 or 10 years of age he slowed down and stopped being playful. His favorite toy was his tugging rope. He took care of it and was always playing with it. He didn't just play with his toys but he also loved to play with the family in the backyard or in the house. Charlie also loves to play non stop as well![/b]

Dear Friend,

It goes to show you...it must be that Canadian cool air thats makes them play! Down here in Tennessee, it's hot and muggy. Miss Daisy prefers the cool air conditioned house as to the back yard. Also, I think it is my lazy example that promotes her being lazy. I will keep trying.

Thanks for all the howling,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, I guess your could be right, but we live in Hamilton and they have all those steel companies. So compered to most of Canada, you could say Hamilton is a stinky city.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Jake is the same way. He was rescued at 6 months and the only thing I could get him to do was hide a bone and kind of do a hide and seek. He never chased a ball or a frisbee and always looked so sad when Maizy was tearing around chasing the soccer ball. We tried everything for years and nothing. His main goal is making sure he can see me from whereever he is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jake is the same way. He was rescued at 6 months and the only thing I could get him to do was hide a bone and kind of do a hide and seek. He never chased a ball or a frisbee and always looked so sad when Maizy was tearing around chasing the soccer ball. We tried everything for years and nothing. His main goal is making sure he can see me from whereever he is.[/b]
Ditto on the see me....does the old saying "under foot" sound about right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, uh she is actually a Basset Hound breeder. Her kennel name is "Soundtrack bassets".[/b]
Thanks for clearing that up....all along I was thinking she was recording that beautiful sound of hounds baying (to music, of course) and selling records and tapes by the gazillions !!

Miss Daisy, and her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
782 Posts
My almost 11 year old and blind basset, Francis, still adores playing tug o' war with his sheepskin squeaky toys. He tires more quickly but it's still his favorite indoor activity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts