Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old male, I am interedted in breeding him but other than the obvious I don't know how to go about it. Can anyone or everyone offer me some help? Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I suggest you search previous posts on this forum. Under Post New Topic click on search then type in words such as breeding.

After you've read some of the posts maybe you will have some specific questions you want answered.

Also I would suggest attending dog shows and joining a basset hound club in your area.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If your puppy was purchased as a family pet, neutering is more economical in the long run and will provide you with a much more satisfactory companion. For additional information, see<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Why Neuter Rover?

<LI> Health Benefits of Spayed and Neutered Pets

<LI> What is Spaying and Neutering?

<LI>The Case to Spay/Neuter--scroll down to "Consider Your Dog's Quality" and "Considerations of the Stud Dog Owner". This is a valuable discussion provided by the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America. While some of the info is breed specific, most is more generally applicable.[/list]

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 12-07-2000).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs, I guess some more specific questions would be :

1) Would the sir and dam be his bloodline?

2) When breeding are titles an important issue?

3) Can his current vet give me all the test required to give him the clearance it would take for breeding?

4) What are the faults and virtues? At this point he's a great puppy but very stubborn when it comes to housebreaking. He's loveable to everyone he meets. He loves attention and is constantly under someones feet.

I would like some information on his breeder if anyone can help, she is L. Collins from Willow Springs, MO The sire was Sir Dante Barkalot DCU7417-00, the Dam was Lady Emily Barkalot DCU7418-00. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Those are all excellent questions.

1. You may need to clarify this question, because I'm not clear on what you're asking. The simple answer is "yes", Flash's sire and dam, as his parents, are both his bloodline. If you're asking how closely his sire and dam are related to one another, examination of his pedigree should provide you with additional information in that regard.

2. I personally feel that titles are important, as objective indicators of the quality of a stud dog. If the stud dog has a conformation championship, he has been evaluated by multiple judges and has been found to conform closely to the ideal physical appearance and structure desired in a basset hound. If the stud dog has performance titles (field, obedience, tracking, etc.), those titles suggest that the dog has a good brain and nose, both of which are important to me. Although not foolproof, they also suggest desirable temperament.

3. Your vet can draw blood for von Willebrand's testing and a full thyroid panel. S/he can probably perform necessary hip and elbow x-rays for OFA evaluation. OFA won't provide a hip clearance until a dog is at least 2 years old. A veterinary ophthalmologist can perform a gonioscopic examination for changes in your dog's eyes that may predispose him to the development of glaucoma later on in life. There is an additional bleeding disorder found in bassets, basset hound thrombopathia, which can only be tested for in a handful of laboratories. The dog must be transported to the lab for testing.

4. Faults and virtues generally refer to physical deficiencies and attributes possessed by a dog. Examples of faults might be low tail set, light pigment, etc.

I don't see the breeder you mentioned listed on the Basset Hound Club of America's web site.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 12-07-2000).]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Flash,

Do you have AKC papers for Flash? Or is he registered with another kennel club? I checked out the numbers on AKC website and they do not match any AKC numbers. Also the AKC number of bassets starts with HM or maybe HD if it's an older dog.

I would not consider breeding a basset that was not AKC registered in addition to the important points Betsy mentions. I would also want to know as much as possible about dogs in the pedigree, their health, temperament and conformation.

I notice you live in Maryland. Did you purchase your puppy directly from the breeder or from a store? I have not heard of a basset breeder named L. Collins but then I don't know everyone.

Even with all the cards stacked in one's favor, breeding is a lot of work and at times heartbreaking as evidenced by 2Many's post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barb,

Do you mean to tell me that the numbers that I provided earlier are completely use less? I purchased Flash from a store, they told me that I would get my papers in about 12 weeks ( 2 months from now) Where or what do those numbers mean? I don't believe that they are AKC registered if I'm not mistaken the man at the store told me something about being registered with another kennel club, is there such a club? or did I get taken? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Betsy,

Yea I was aking if his parents are his blood line, You seem to be really knowledgable in this area. I am starting to feel like I got taken!!!! Maybe I bought something that I didn't get!!!! Where can I go to find out if this lady is an actual breeder of Bassetts? How would I go about registering him with AKC? I know I ask alot but I feel that I have alot to learn about my puppy!!! Thanks everyone

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey I found out that Flash may be registered with a club called UNITED ALL BREED REGISTRY, has anyone ever heard of this club? can you tell me anything about it?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
FWIW, I checked out Flash's parents at the AKC website by name and breed, and it appears that both are AKC registered. However, it's possible that Flash is not, for the following reasons.

AKC recently established a Frequently Used Sires Program, where dogs that have sired seven or more litters in a lifetime or more than three litters in a year must have a DNA profile performed. In Missouri, there are significant numbers of large-scale pet breeders (puppy millers) whose dogs qualify as frequently used sires. These breeders are opposed to obtaining DNA profiles on these dogs, and are protesting by registering puppies with registries other than AKC. See Missouri Commercial Breeders to Drop AKC Registration. The United All Breed Registry appears to be one of these alternative registries.

I have no way of knowing, of course, if this situation applies to Flash. Whether it does or not, he sounds like a lovable, wonderful pet. For his sake, I hope that you will not feel as if you got a bad deal; it sounds like you couldn't ask for a nicer dog.

I hope that you will consider introducing yourself and Flash over on the general forum. There's camaraderie and a lot of moral support for folks like you who are in the middle of housebreaking a basset puppy. Please post a picture of him there, too; we're suckers for cute puppies!

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 12-08-2000).]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You didn't get taken.....papers have nothing to do with whether a dog is a wonderful, loyal, yes and somtimes stubborn, companion.

Have fun with your puppy, that's what dog ownership is all about in my book.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for all your help everyone, I think after all of this I may be doing the world a favor and having Flash netured. being a breeder seems like a full time job, and all I honestly wanted was a great dog and a wonderful companion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts