Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 14 month Fred has been diagnosed with Wobbler’s disease. The MRI clearly showed narrowing on 2 vertebrae in his neck. This diagnosis did explain the stumbling and scraping of his left front paw and to a lesser extent his back paw. Needless to say we’re really sad as this seems to be a progressive disease with a life expectancy of round 36 months. The neurologist suggested an operation which seems to show improvement of the clinical signs in 80% of the cases. We are going to have Fred operated on by a neurosurgeon in a few weeks. I know it’s sometimes hard to say if a dog is in pain, but we honestly haven’t seen Fred showing any signs of pain. He seems to be his normal playful and stubborn (😉) self! He has been put on Gabapentin. Anyone here gone through anything similar with their Basset?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Our 14 month Fred has been diagnosed with Wobbler’s disease. The MRI clearly showed narrowing on 2 vertebrae in his neck. This diagnosis did explain the stumbling and scraping of his left front paw and to a lesser extent his back paw. Needless to say we’re really sad as this seems to be a progressive disease with a life expectancy of round 36 months. The neurologist suggested an operation which seems to show improvement of the clinical signs in 80% of the cases. We are going to have Fred operated on by a neurosurgeon in a few weeks. I know it’s sometimes hard to say if a dog is in pain, but we honestly haven’t seen Fred showing any signs of pain. He seems to be his normal playful and stubborn (😉) self! He has been put on Gabapentin. Anyone here gone through anything similar with their Basset?
So sorry for you to read this - there has to be others who have experienced this in their Basset as it's a known problem.. It is operable (or should be) however, so I hope you find a good surgeon to do this tricky surgery. Noel Fitzpatrick does this in the UK - if you are able to get across to him. He has a website with a lot of information on various skeletal problems in dogs. Speaking from experience, I can say Gabapentin should help - it does me!

I hope his breeder knows this as that combination shouldn't be done again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: the operation is today. We spoke to the neurosurgeon. He said it’s not Wobbler’s (thank God), but a problem with 2 ligaments. He thinks he can definitely solve the problem. It’s a huge relief that the life-expectancy prospects of Wobbler’s are no longer applicable and Fred will probably have a ‘normal’ life. Recovery will take some time though as is to be expected with any surgery round the spinal cord. The problem will worsen before he gets better. Anyway, we’re relieved it’s not Wobbler’s. Think good thoughts for our Fred please!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts