Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Debbie. I live in Maine and I have a 3 year old basset daschund mix named Dinky. I have been trying to find him some winter boots but have been having the darndest time with finding a pair that will fit over his big paws. Then they keep sliding off because his legs are too skinny. I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck and could recommend a brand?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hi. My name is Debbie. I live in Maine and I have a 3 year old basset daschund mix named Dinky. I have been trying to find him some winter boots but have been having the darndest time with finding a pair that will fit over his big paws. Then they keep sliding off because his legs are too skinny. I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck and could recommend a brand?

Thank you!
It's not so much the big feet, I found, but the crook which means it's not easy to get a boot to not slip off. Your Basset should be able to survive Winter without boots, other than if the pavements are salted. With mine, it was always that that had then holding their feet up, in rotation or attempting 2 or more at the same time (hysterical). It would help if your mix has hairy feet, to keep the excess fur around the feet trimmed so the ice doesn't build up and again which can cause problems.

I assume you've tried Ebay - the source of most things. But in all truth, your hound should be able to cope with Winter without the need for boots really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Franksmom! He has not had any issues for the last 3 years and then last week we went for a walk and got half way through it and he picked up his paw and refused to walk any further and I had to carry his long 25 lb butt home! I looked at his paws when we got home and they weren't irritated so I just figured he didn't like the cold anymore.

It never occurred to me that it would be more the angle of his feet...but that is why I came here!

Any other thoughts that might help? Do those creams help?

Deb

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It never occurred to me that it would be more the angle of his feet...but that is why I came here!
No not 'the angle of his feet', but the fact that presumably, his front legs are not straight, and short too? Making it difficult to keep a boot/sock on?

·
Registered
337 Posts
No experience with boots, but I thought search & rescue boots need to stay in place and found some good reviews for a Kevlar boot by ultra paw. They have a cushion/pad to help hold the boot in place....seems like that might help with basset legs? Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
There is a kind, I forget what they're called, that look like little balloons and are made of rubber, they actually stay on pretty well but are not very durable (which is why they come in packs of multiple pairs).

Here they are:https://pawzdogboots.com/boots/

·
Registered
337 Posts
I checked those out Soundtrack.....what a hoot... "Fashionable yet durable".....I vote for the purple ones! Obviously missing a fashion trend here....

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I checked those out Soundtrack.....what a hoot... "Fashionable yet durable".....I vote for the purple ones! Obviously missing a fashion trend here....
All very well but I seriously doubt even they'd stay on. It would be interesting to hear whether they do!

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
The stayed on melody when she was in a wheel chair. wore out quickly, lasted a week at best. Sort of like condoms for feet.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
The stayed on melody when she was in a wheel chair. wore out quickly, lasted a week at best. Sort of like condoms for feet.
To be fair, her feet were dragging on the ground, they would probably have lasted longer if she were walking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts