Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our basset, Winston, is around 6yrs old. Recently, he started holding his tail down, almost between his legs. He will wag it but he doesn't hold it up like normal, especially when sniffing his yard's perimeter. He is an inside hound, and has special stairs built so he can get on our bed. Can someone please shed some thoughts as to why he is acting like this??? He does have a fatty mass at the base of his tail(confirmed by our vet) and yesterday when I was looking at him, he let out a "yelp" when I touched him by the lump...........he doesn't even lift his tail to go to the bathroom!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
How long has he been doing this? Did he have a bath or go swimming before it started?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about Winston's tail. :( His symptoms could be caused by a number of things, including injury to the tail or even a herniated disc, however no one here is qualified to make a diagnosis or suggest treatment options. For additional information you might want to read Tail Limpness and see your veterinarian.

Hope he and his tail are soon back in the swing of things. Keep us posted.

[ February 01, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on Winston:
Today(2/2/04) Winston went to our Vet. She could find nothing out of the ordinary. The lump on his tail is not the cause(it is just fat). She drained his glands, and watched him walk. He only wimpered when his tail was lifted. She suspects that he has somehow sprained it(maybe playing with his Lab sister???) and prescribed an anti-inflamatory(Metacam). She was hesitant to X-ray saying that at this point she doesn't think it would reveal anything new. She did say, that if he is not back to normal after a week, to bring him back in and we would proceed with X-rays. So, for now, Winston will get anti-inflamatories and rest!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I once had a cat who liked to sit in the front doorway. One day, a wind came through and the door slammed shut --- on his tail. :)

Maybe something similar happened to Winston. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
137 Posts
When Daisy was about 3 months old she fell off the front porch onto a hydrangea bush. For about a week or more her tail was hanging down. We didn't think it was broken and she's alright now. Now there are minchkin rails on the porch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.......happy to report that after 2 days of treatment, Winston's tail is up and he is dragging me around the neighborhood in 20 degree weather!!!!!! It's great to hear his tail thumping on the couch when you come into the room!!! He's back to racing around and throwing his tennis balls and ropes to me and my wife........which of course is followed by a HUGE howl!!!!!
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts