Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.... i am new to the group and a new basset owner! My Winston is 8 mths old! Im not gonna lie he is a handful! I always heard bassets were lazy and calm well mine is not! He runs around the house like a mad man and tries to bite everything and anything! He will go to the door letting you know he has to potty but not always! And he sometimes will potty outside and still come in and pee and poop in the house, then he eats the poop! I love him dearly but i am struggling with his behaviors! Has anyone ever had this problem with there babies? He even tries to bite you sometimes when u attempt to put him in his crate! I dont know what else to do! I am even considering rehoming him ( which I do not want to do)! Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That all sounds pretty natural for basset pups. try getting him outside for at least 20 minutes in a row. running around and or playing catch, tug of war, fetch or finding hidden treats around the yard. he will be too tired to chew on stuff when he gets back inside. the biting problem... I always use physical over reaction make them know they are hurting you. if that doesn't solve it. try gently making them bite their own lip. teach them that they are hurting you and they should bite softer. the hyper puppy stage doesn't last forever. their bones are always getting heavier and they will slow down over time. please dont give up on him. you will be rewarded with a long time friend if he sticks around.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
the hyper puppy stage doesn't last forever.

hmmm depends on the dog I have plenty of 9-12 yeEAR OLD PUPPIES

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely get him out for exercise. I walk out 8month old boy about 45 minutes every evening. And he also spends time in the yard playing fetch or sniffing around. Is he food motivated? Use his kibble or small pieces of other treats to get him to comply with what you need him to do, ie get in the crate. I’ve got a ball that I can add food to which my boy likes to push around the house and get the kibble out of. You can even sprinkle the kibble on the floor and lay a pillowcase or small blanket over top and get him to figure out how to find it. Poke small holes in an empty pop or water bottle, just a bit larger than his food pieces, add the food to it and he can push or throw it around to get the food out. I was told there’s no need to give a dog a bowl of food if you can give him the same amount while he’s playing and working his mind. Wears him out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts