Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went upstairs and found Ethel laying on the floor eating a container of petroleum jelly.
The lid was in small pieces and the top part of the jar is gone. I think the jar was almost empty
so she probably just ingested what was on the plastic that she ate. Anyone think this is a problem (health wise). Thanks, Grant

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simon did the same thing a while ago he was fine watch him (of course it was a new jar of vaseline)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I se some loose stools in your future. I would put a call in, though, just to see what you should expect.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
LOL! Diarrhea I'm sure... I would call to be safe...my Jake finished off the holiday goodies yesterday- chocolate and all :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta love these dogs eh!!!! I called the vet and they basically mirrored what everyone said. Just watch her and she will probably have the runs (not basset 500 runs LOL) and if she doesn't throw up she will probably be OK.
On the up side, she will have nice shiny (and not chapped) doggy lips LOL.

Thanks for the posts

[ January 06, 2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Lucy & Ethel's Dad ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There should be no problem other than very loose stools for a while. Vaseline is not poisonous.
Nice shiny coat too :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of time to scoop and hose for a few days LOL. I had heard that petroleum jelly is a good way to dislodge anything sharp that a dog shouldn't have eaten.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was reading this post and had to respond. My Basset is becoming a little Hoover vacuum. While brushing her teeth, I found a toothpick lodged across the roof of her mouth. How she got it, I have no idea. We are so careful. Anyway, I easily removed it. The one side was a little blunted from being bent into the tooth and gums. Should I be worried about infection? She is eating and acting normally. i am just relieved she did not swallow it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You want some strange things bassets eat?

A few years ago we got a cockatiel and his cage is in the living room. He is a VERY messy eater and lots of bird seed always ends up on the floor. Sunny has been eating the bird seed ever since.

A couple weeks ago we found that we had left both our hounds inside the house instead of downstairs in the garage with their cushions and door to outside. Buckley slept the whole time, doing nothing. However we came inside to find Sunny surrounded by fish food flakes, and an empty canister of fish food.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Joshua, same thing here--my sheltie loves bird seed, and Daisy, our basset, likes the bird honey treats. The dogs pick up spilled birdseed better than a vacuum cleaner. Sometimes the stools we pick up from the dogs look like they're 90 percent bird seed.

Daisy once ate an entire packet of algae food for our pleco, too. They were evidently tasty because everytime DH would go to feed the fish, Daisy'd get all excited.

She recently nibbled on a tube of toothpaste, too, but not too much--must've been too minty for her. She didn't stop before she got toothpaste on the carpet, though! :mad: Oddly enough, she has shown no further interest in toothpaste....

BarbR

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sally stalks me when I'm in the bathtub - her life's ambition is to eat a cake of soap. She tries to lick it off me before I can rinse. So far she hasn't gotten a whole bar, not from want of trying. :roll:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Did they poot bubbles? :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When Francis was a puppy he pulled off and ate all the wallpaper off the wall up to the chair railing. It took me WEEKS to get all the stuff off the floor and Fran got a bath to wash all the stuff that had dried all over him, there was even stuff in his ears and stuck to the roof of his mouth. You think you can puppy proof a room and the little darlings will still find something fabulous.
The very next day I went to the store and put him in the bathroom just for a minute without remembering to take the toilet paper out of the dispenser...you can guess how THAT turned out. That's why I always say that God made puppies really cute for a reason: survival of the species.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Charlie got into a can of Crisco when my daughter didn't latch our pantry door. I wasn't home, of course, so didn't realize anything happened until about 9:30 that night, when I saw the can under the t.v. cupboard. ("What's that? Huh? How'd it get there?") I know Charlie was the culprit because I'd noticed a smell on his face that was familiar but nothing I could identify -- until I put the pieces together! He seemed fine, but he must have had some pretty intense tummy aches, based on the frozen puddles of poop on our brick sidewalk. What a mess!

Bassets -- ya gotta love 'em :) .......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts