Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to rescue a 4 year old basset male. He is very timid, especially around men. How long do you think it will take before he gains back a sense of trust, or will he?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just a quick reply but I'm sure that in a happy secure home, your Basset will soon gain confidence from you. I wonder if a man has done something cruel to him at some time... I hope you will rescue him because Bassets just make the most adorable pets. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It's not really the sort of thing that can be predicted, since it depends a lot on things like how much of it is genetically poor temperament, how much is due to lack of socialization and how much is due to actual bad experience, along with how long he's been like that. Some dogs cannot be fixed, with a lot of work and management they may be able to function in most circumstances but fear will always be their default reaction when stressed. OTOH if the dog has a basically sound temperament but was recently hurt/abused/frightened then the chances of bringing him around are much better. You'd need a trainer experienced in working with such dogs to evaluate his potential.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to rescue a basset, but I do have a Chihuahua mix rescue. She started out with extreme separation anxiety and terror of men in general. After two years she is a different dog in so many ways. She still doesn't like it when I leave but she doesn't scream and shake like she did, and although she is suspicious of new men that come around she has a couple of men that she has come to trust and love. My dad figured out the way to her heart was through her stomach and always brought treats in his pockets. She thinks he's pretty awesome now.

Seeing how far she's come has been hugely rewarding. She started out as an emaciated, unwed teenage mother as my vet said. We named her Yukiko which means "fortunate child" and she is now a sweet and healthy pampered pooch.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have the opportunity to rescue a 4 year old basset male. He is very timid, especially around men. How long do you think it will take before he gains back a sense of trust, or will he?
It's sadly pretty common for dogs to be afraid of men simply because men statistically are more likely be the abuser in their past.

I know of a woman who recently rescued a german shephard with this problem. The dog is terrified of her husband but is okay around her. One of the things they recommend is having a man give the dog his food.

If you constantly work at associating men with good feelings with treats and food, hopefully your dog will get over his fear. It may take a lot of time and patience, though.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
iF that is the only fear shown by the dog than say a general shyness the outlook for a cure is better but it by no means guaranteed and general something that takes constant work to maintain.

Also how they manifest the fear becomes a predictor of how well they fair as well, Fear biters the prognoses is poorer simply because of the risks associated there simply can not be as many oppurtunities to counter condition and desensitize vs a dog that act smore passively

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2 year old rescue Basset. I feel sure she was abused....know for a fact she was abandoned. For the first few months whenever I picked up anything...she would pancake. That is flatten on the floor like she expected to be beaten. This could be a ruler, telephone, flash light, head set.......most anything. Or just reaching up to scratch my head......would make her pancake. Now nine moths later we are getting better. She does not pancake.....just a tuck and runs back a bit. I lay the object down and call her....let her sniff it. While I praise her for being such a brave girl. It helps that our other Basset, who was never mistreated, comes waddling in complete unconcerned....wanting her share of the praise. But I think it will be a year at the very least.....more like two years before we get completely past the pancake syndrome. Some mental scars will never heal....in dogs or people but lots of TLC will get most over their fears. So hang in there.....time and love do heal.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I also rescued a 'timid' older Basset a few years ago and she didn't like men so we guess she'd been mistreated at some time and with a lot of love from our family and friends, and without being too 'pushy' towards her, once she realised she was staying with us, she soon came round and lost her timidness but obviously you need a lot of patience and understanding... but then that's an attribute we all need with Bassets, timid or not!!!! :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a 2 year old rescue Basset. I feel sure she was abused....know for a fact she was abandoned. For the first few months whenever I picked up anything...she would pancake. That is flatten on the floor like she expected to be beaten. This could be a ruler, telephone, flash light, head set.......most anything. Or just reaching up to scratch my head......would make her pancake. Now nine moths later we are getting better. She does not pancake.....just a tuck and runs back a bit. I lay the object down and call her....let her sniff it. While I praise her for being such a brave girl. It helps that our other Basset, who was never mistreated, comes waddling in complete unconcerned....wanting her share of the praise. But I think it will be a year at the very least.....more like two years before we get completely past the pancake syndrome. Some mental scars will never heal....in dogs or people but lots of TLC will get most over their fears. So hang in there.....time and love do heal.
Makes me sick to think people can abuse such kind dogs. The other day I was getting food for Anabelle and she always gets excited at dinner time. I raised my hands in the air like a "hooray" sort of motion, and she cowered like I was going to hit her. I've never hit her before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have had Emma almost a year now. Abandon and abused, she pancake anytime I pick anything up.....flatten out expecting to be beaten. She has made amazing progress in just the last two month..becoming confident almost bold. She no longer pancakes or runs. The wet/dry vacuum use to send her running in terror. Belle my older Basset comes running wanting to be vacuumed with the soft brush. Belle really gets off on it. Now Emma is letting me vacuum her...She is still not sure if she likes it or not.... but unwilling to let Belle get all the attention. She has really blossomed in the last few weeks. Progress had been very slow..and then suddenly she decided life was good.. It was almost as if a switch had been thrown and she lit up. So, for all you having problems.......there is hope. Emma has gone from a dog terrified of almost everything into the laid back, easy going, unconcerned Basset she is suppose to be. I had expected her to take much longer to get to the point she is now. So, yes they can and do get better with time and TLC. Emma is almost a completely different dog that the one I got from the rescue a year ago.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stomps was very timid when I got him as a rescue. I couldn't touch his underarms, ears or feet without him screaming like I was killing him. Over probably about a year he grew to trust me completely and was fairly trusting of other people as well. Rescues are the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our baby is very very timid... We got her when she was about six months old - from a breeder (who's since gone "out of business"). Our vet tends to believe she was harmed or mistreated in some way. He told us to encourage her, let her around people a lot - even if they don't pet her, just being around them helps. We have treats that we keep just for company to give her. Sometimes she takes them, sometimes she won't. We have one cousin in particular that poor Willow just runs and hides when he's in the house, and we have no idea why - he's not the loudest, tallest, youngest, oldest..... It just takes a lot of love and a lot of patience. We've had our girl a year now and wouldnt trade her for the world!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mater, my 4 year old Basset, has to be the most gentle, forgiving, unassuming, 60 lb load of ears, big eyes and wrinkles you can imagine. We have a 6 pound Maltese, who acts like the queen mother, a dynamic type A that gets knocked around every time Mater heads for the door. I wouldn't trade my Basset for anything. One of the nicest, most accepting faces you will ever see that comes trundling into the kitchen at six in the moaning. Treat yours with love and affection and you will get it back, ten-fold

·
Registered
10 Posts
Up date ......Emma has been with us over two years now. Completely ...completely different dog from the abandoned, abused dog I brought home. No pancaking, no tuck and running.... she is a very laid back, easing going Basset. I was running the wet/dry vacuum over the screened in porch..this would have sent her fleeing in terror in the old days. She waddles up and sits down right where I need to vacuum...wanting to be vacuumed with the soft brush. So I did. Then...went back to cleaning the porch. She again waddles up and sits down right in front of me again. I finally had to put her in the house and shut the dog door or I would have never finished the porch. She has decided everyone is her friend.....cannot understand that some people don’t want a dog running up to them. So, now we am working on good manners. She has come so far! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and need to walk after breakfast every morning to lower my blood sugar levels. Emma has become my cheer leader, personal trainer...pusher. After I finish eating....Emma follows me around moaning softly until till we go walk. I guess one could say she earns her keep.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have had Ethel since Thanksgiving, she too was a rescue and was timid at first and very sick. She started to slowly warm up to strangers and now will gladly be the bold one and seek attention from any human, dog or cat that shows up at the house. I did nothing other than possitive reinforcement with treats and she is the happiest dog that I have ever met or owned.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Great news and glad to hear a happy ending. So glad you were able to help her and now Emma is helping you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts