Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a divorce and have moved to a rental house with my son. We have 2 Bassetts that are still at our old house with my ex because they stay outside in a fence during the day. The rental house does not have a fence, but I was told I could put one up so that I could bring our dogs. I have the materials, but no one to install the fence. I can't afford to pay someone right now to do it. I'm considering an underground electric fence but I wasn't sure if it would work since Bassetts have such a strong instict to chase a scent. The area we moved to is full of rabbits, deer and wild turkies.

We REALLY miss our babies, but I want to make sure they will be safe first! Will an underground electric fence work with Bassetts? Or should I just hold off until I can get the real fence installed? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I can only tell you our experience with it. NO. My inlaws had one and you had to constantly be checking it as the rodents cut the wires several times. Then one of their girls was so adamant about wanting out that she would run straight through and since she knew it was just a quick shock then and she was free to run around the neighborhood. Some of the other dogs would do the same after seeing her. Depends on how stuborn your dogs are though. Plus you can't really leave the collars on them all the time. They need to be taken off often otherwise they can leave welts in their necks. Therefore I wouldn't recommend the electric fence but perhaps someone else has had a better experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I wouldn't trust it with my dogs.

Why not put up a temporary fence until you can get this one installed?

When I moved a lot, I made a set of 8x4 fence panels out of wood with wire fencing stapled to it. They screwed together, so they were easily moved or I could add more panels as I had the time and money to do so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bassets are stubborn, and smart, will probably figure it out.

While they may be use to running outside all day, they should be able to adapt to being inside as long as they are walked several times a day. Our previous basset stayed inside all day while we were at work with no problem. And managed with a short walk at 06:00AM in the morning before we left for work, another at 3:30PM when I got home and a couple more in the evening before we went to bed around 11:00PM until we got our fence built. Even then we did not trust her outside while we were gone and she would stay in the house while we were at work, then be allowed to run free in the yard in the evenings.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I leave mine indoors even though I do have a secure fenced yard- I worry about the neighbors or someone trying to get them loose. I have a tiled kitchen and keep them penned there and generally check on them mid day. Thankfully our work schedules are fairly flexible so they only have to be penned 3-4 days a week. I have not heard positive things about bassets and underground fences.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have had Invisible Fence for almost 10 years now, and it has worked extremely well. I live in the country, where there are all kinds of temptations, but the only one Lightning broke through the fence for was the neighbors' horses' poop. We adjusted the fence settings and that took care of that. And my dogs had their collars on all the time and they never left welts. I wouldn't trust the DIY underground fencing, though; Invisible Fence has been worth every penny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hhhmm...decisions, decisions. I really miss my doggies. Charlie is pretty stubborn and he is the one I would worry about chasing rabbits and such. Lillie is very laid back and could care less. As far as keeping them indoors all day - I'm gone for about 9 hours, sometimes longer and I work 30 miles away so going home on a break is not an option either. I may just have to visit them while my soon-to-be ex is at work.

Thanks to all for the input! By the way....I love this website! Glad I found it. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
We don't need a fence - our dogs stay indoors. They come with me to my office and watch the office. They are always a great show for customers because Bassets are very seldom in germany and everyone is excited to see them. And the dogs are excited to get visitors and already sit behind the front door after opening the shop.

We go for long walks three times a day. And they are satisfied this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had an underground fence for years, and it's truly one of the best investments I've made. My dogs love it! All of my hounds are trained to it. We live in the booneys, so there's plenty of crittery distractions. I wouldn't recommend training one under 9 months though. I think they're just too young. I've NEVER had problems with the colors hurting their necks. They do not leave burn makes, raw places, etc.....nothing! I wouldn't use them if they did. And I use the longer prongs (PetSafe collars come with short and long prongs) The longer ones are for long haired dogs. They work best because of the basset turkey gobblers. Here are a few photos of some of my hounds. These are the only ones, with the hounds wearing the collars, that I have on this computer. I have also never had problems with rodents digging into the underground wire. If buried correctly, with one continuous piece of wire, you should have no problem. The only problem I've ever had is when the lawn man has cut it, after my laziness caused me to not bury on certain parts of the property.

The collars in the photos are of the Stubborn Dog receivers, made by PetSafe. I also use PetSafe's ultra light receivers, and have purchased a PetSafe deluxe ultra light receiver which I haven't used yet. I'm sure it'll work as good as my previous collars. I hope my experiences help with your decision!

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
The puropse of a fence is to keep a dog safe outside when you are not around to directly supervise. Even if an invisible/';underground fence does keep the dogs in the yard it still fails to keep the dogs safe. It does not prevent intruders both 2 and four legged variety from entering and doing harm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for your two cents Mikey T, we all need consider the intruder factor in protecting our pets.

Personally, I could not subject my pet to shock conditioning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had one for 5 years with no real problems. Occasionally the battery on the collar would die, and you could tell because he would slowly range a little further into the yard. The collars can be set with a wide boundry zone and the dog gets 2 to 3 different signals (beeps, clicking noises) before they get zapped. My guy only tested the fence once or twice before he figured it out, and would turn back at the first warning beep.

The important thing is to train them the correct way. If they figure out they can break through the other side with the same result as turning back into the yard...they may well try to bust out.

My husband and my kids and several other neighborhood kids all "tested" the collars and no one cried or did more than laugh and drop it...so I think the shock isn't that severe.

Bailey only ever went out to go potty and came straight back in...he was probably about 6 when we got it, and he was a mjor home body...just wanted to be inside....even if WE were outside..he loved his sofa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was so undecided about the electric fence or not. Read all the comments. The thing I didn’t consider (I’m a goober) was its inability to keep people or other dogs/things from them. Thanks for putting it back into perspective for me Mike.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No way would I rely on an underground fence. If your hound has any instinct to track and trace, he'll be off, electric shock or not. It's simply not worth the risk. If you can't afford fencing at the moment, you might try using an ex-pen - we had one made up of panels which hooked onto another pen, or even a crate, would make a good enough area for the hound and will keep them safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts