Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what was going on. my husband and myself went to ran to the store and then decided to go to lunch. when i left all the dogs were fine and acting normal, while we were waiting to get seated in the resturant my daughter called saying Ryobi wasn't acting like himself, he had pooped in the house (He never does that)he was panting very hard and slobering all over. he was very lathargeic and had trouble getting up. We rushed home (hitting all the darn lights red of course) but by the time we got home he was getting better it seemsed. he had gotten up but had stumbled a few times.but when we got home he was very quite and slow but walking. he wasn't panting anymore,i checked his gums and they seemed pink. we took his temp. and it was 99.3 so that was not good but gave it 30 min. and it was 99.7 so it is going back up. he did sit up and beg so he is doing better but we are still keeping an eye on him. Isure didn't want a trip to the emergency vet (specially with a 900.00 root canal for me coming up) but boy if he needed to go we would have gone. but can't figuare out what was wrong. Then i think poor baby if this all happened and we didn't know it and came home to a dog pooping in the house someone would have gotten in trouble and how bad they would have felt.
I can't figuare out what was wrong but am sooooooooooooo happy he seems to be better.that was a very scary trip drive home.

·
Registered
987 Posts
wow that is strange, at first I was thinking a mild seizure, but that usually causes the tempature to spike not drop. I hope he remains okay. That is strange.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if he ate something that might have gotten him sick? Although if it was something like that I wouldn't think it would have cleared as quickly as it did. Just keep an eye on him. Indeed very very strange!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Maybe you should call your vet for advice, or at least post it on the Health and Genetics section for some feedback. Perhaps someone would recognise the symptoms and give you an idea about what might be wrong?

Terry

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm not a vet, not by any means, but that sounds kind of shock-y to me or maybe some kind of poisoning or, as Baby Duck suggested, maybe a seizure.

Whatever the case, it sounds serious and I would definitely have Ryobi checked over.

Lady pootied in the house the other day. But it was her first day of half kibble - half homemade food (chicken and rice, w/ veggies). She really gulped it down, which I tried to control for by only giving her a bit at a time.

Still, her system wasn't used to it and she pootied in the house, poor girl. She was humiliated!

However, it was just the pootie and she had no other signs and no recurrence and it was easily traceable to a change in diet.

It sounds like Ryobi's situation isn't traceable. Plus his other symptoms are pretty troubling. I really think it merits a vet visit.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i called the vet today and they said that there isn't anything they can do since Ryobi seems fine now, just to keep an eye on him and if it happens again to bring him in.

excuse my spelling on the first post my hands and brain don't always correspond. thats why i could never be a secretary. he he he

1 - 6 of 6 Posts