Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is so weird because literally this afternoon I read a section about that exact behavior in my new book - Essential Care in the Field - Apparently, dogs in the wild did that because it's not safe to stay around eating at the kill site.

They would tear off a big hunk of meat and take it back to their home/den/whatever and sometimes regurgitate it there and either eat it or feed it to the little ones. If you sat there eating at the kill site, you could be a lion's next meal, etc.

The author's recommendation for pet dog or hunting dog owners is to make sure the feeding location feels safe to them - that it's secure and not in the open - and that secure can mean different things to different dogs - not where people or other animals are, not where there back is facing an open space etc. He suggested moving the feeding location to wherever the dog takes the food to because that is the place they feel safe. His example was feeding them in there bed if that's where they go. I'd take his advice to mean that if a dog was moving his food to another room it doesn't mean the dog needs to be fed in that other room necessarily, but that adjustments might need to be made to where the dog is eating now - a secure little space created.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts