Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i put his food in his bowl he always takes one piece and takes it to his bed to eat and once he's eaten it and sure that the food is good, he returns to his bowl to finish the rest. What a wierdo! Anyone else have any wierd dog behaviours?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When Lightning was an only child, every day he would spill his food all over the kitchen floor, then eat at it throughout the day. Once I got Stomps, Lightning turned into a scarfer, inhaling his food so fast I had to buy him a special bowl to try to slow him down (doesn't really do the trick). Now, after he eats, he licks the empty bowl for about 15 minutes, then when Stomps is done eating, Lightning licks HIS bowl for another 15 minutes. Then to top it all off he heads outside to eat poop. He's a very special dog.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I posted this photo once before, but since you asked, this is how Murray eats:

I call this "Din Din On Throne With Pantyhose".

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this photo once before, but since you asked, this is how Murray eats:

I call this "Din Din On Throne With Pantyhose".[/b]

oh my gosh, that is hilarious!! i love it!! i'm still laughing my buns off!

Lightning also sounds like quite the interesting fella...has to have his poop dessert huh?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When i put his food in his bowl he always takes one piece and takes it to his bed to eat and once he's eaten it and sure that the food is good, he returns to his bowl to finish the rest. What a wierdo! Anyone else have any wierd dog behaviours?[/b]
Dixie does somethi9ng very similar to this. She will grab some from her bowl, take it to the living room and eat it. Once that is done she returns to the dining room to finish off the bowl. I chalked i up to weird rescue behavior, maybe it is weird basset behavior instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before she takes a single bite, Daphne tips her bowl, knocking some of the food on the ground. Then she eats what's on the floor, and moves to the food in the bowl. Every now and then she dumps the bowl completely over on top of the food... it's funny to watch her figure out how to get to the food from under the bowl. Also, she'll only eat in the living room... won't touch her food if it's in the kitchen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Miniature Pinscher will do something similar to that. She will take a mouth full and bring it into the living room and eat it and then go back to the food bowl and grab another mouth full and do the same thing. She does that until she is done. My Basset’s just eat it down before any of the others can get it. They also love to follow my Miniature Pinscher into the living room and try to get the food she brought in there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
How funny. Buddy hasn't done this in a long time, but he used to scoop up a mouthful of food and bring it into the living room to eat and go back and get more just like bjsibba's Pinscher. These days he wolfs it down in the kitchen with the others and then looks longingly at those who are still eating. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is so weird because literally this afternoon I read a section about that exact behavior in my new book - Essential Care in the Field - Apparently, dogs in the wild did that because it's not safe to stay around eating at the kill site.

They would tear off a big hunk of meat and take it back to their home/den/whatever and sometimes regurgitate it there and either eat it or feed it to the little ones. If you sat there eating at the kill site, you could be a lion's next meal, etc.

The author's recommendation for pet dog or hunting dog owners is to make sure the feeding location feels safe to them - that it's secure and not in the open - and that secure can mean different things to different dogs - not where people or other animals are, not where there back is facing an open space etc. He suggested moving the feeding location to wherever the dog takes the food to because that is the place they feel safe. His example was feeding them in there bed if that's where they go. I'd take his advice to mean that if a dog was moving his food to another room it doesn't mean the dog needs to be fed in that other room necessarily, but that adjustments might need to be made to where the dog is eating now - a secure little space created.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is so weird because literally this afternoon I read a section about that exact behavior in my new book - Essential Care in the Field - Apparently, dogs in the wild did that because it's not safe to stay around eating at the kill site.

They would tear off a big hunk of meat and take it back to their home/den/whatever and sometimes regurgitate it there and either eat it or feed it to the little ones. If you sat there eating at the kill site, you could be a lion's next meal, etc.

The author's recommendation for pet dog or hunting dog owners is to make sure the feeding location feels safe to them - that it's secure and not in the open - and that secure can mean different things to different dogs - not where people or other animals are, not where there back is facing an open space etc. He suggested moving the feeding location to wherever the dog takes the food to because that is the place they feel safe. His example was feeding them in there bed if that's where they go. I'd take his advice to mean that if a dog was moving his food to another room it doesn't mean the dog needs to be fed in that other room necessarily, but that adjustments might need to be made to where the dog is eating now - a secure little space created.[/b]
ok, so I moved Louie's bowls to his "room" with his bed where he was bringing his food to nibble on and lo and behold, he doesn't do it anymore. What a wierdo!! I guess he didn't like eating in the kitchen...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts