Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to say that even though i would not support such a breeding,that the Basset like most "Pure Breeds" today were devloped by cross breeding.in this months Tally-Ho is a great acticle about the Smith's and how some of thier Beagle/Basset crosses with some Russian Basset import crosses are still in some of our top show and field lines today.at the time it had to be done to prevent inbreeding until they got some Walhampton hounds incorporated into the mix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I feel partially responsible for the lockout on that topic. I should have never have admitted -- er --- I mean -- SUGGESTED that I use monkeys for scientific experiments.

A

·
0 Posts
kgaines ...you broke two rules of the board

1)You made the fatal mistake of suggesting a cross breeding..Bassets were the first dogs...god created the basset not mortal men cross breeding other dogs to create a new breed...

2)You are not allowed to breed your dog unless you have been born a well known and respected dog breeder...NO respected breeder started out as a backyard breeder...its just not possible

Now you must sit quietly with me "the horrible backyard breeder" and not suggest such a thing

AND never ever forget that ...your dog was not originally breed to hunt rabbits ...it was breed to sit on the couch and get fat...bassets are much happier that way

Hey Billy ...one of the pups from my last litter is running rabbits at 4 1/2 months old...see you Saturday

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
1)You made the fatal mistake of suggesting a cross breeding..
Bassets and other breeds were generally developed by design to serve a purpose, not simple cross-bred on a whim 'cause someone thought it might be a cute combo.

god created the basset not mortal men
This goes withougt saying :D

2)You are not allowed to breed your dog unless you have been born a well known and respected dog breeder...NO respected breeder started out as a backyard breeder...its just not possible
Actually, I do know reputable breeders that started out as BYBs, but they were willing to educate themselves and change their ways.

And I believe that a breeding program that focuses on performance is just as valid as one that focuses on conformation. To me it's all about planning and having a goal, not just randomly breeding dogs simply to produce puppies.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
"Bassets and other breeds were generally developed by design to serve a purpose, not simple cross-bred on a whim 'cause someone thought it might be a cute combo."

I've always thought this was an interesting topic, but shied away from discussions about it because it generated so much heat. :eek: :eek: Your comment makes perfect sense, Soundtrack. The moderators may feel that this isn't sufficiently basset related, but I have to ask--how do you feel about the folks who are currently doing cross breeding with a specific purpose. Around here, labradoodles are very popular--people that have them, love them. As I understand it, they are being bred for a specific purpose--bright companion dogs with the solid disposition of good labs. Any comments on current breeding programs that are aimed at a specific purpose?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I see where the initial thread went awry...
Some people like to muse out loud about change to things which others take as a black or white issue. Tongue-in-cheek humor is also best used when your audience is familiar.
No offense was ever intended in the first thread, but the barbs got a little pointed. The Moderators did the right thing by closing that topic, as it was too heated. I also think it got away from the initial reason for this forum, which is "A discussion group for those interested in showing and breeding basset hounds for conformation. Brags are welcome! "

[ August 30, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Scratch & Sniff ]

A

·
0 Posts
A discussion group for those interested in showing and breeding basset hounds for conformation....WHAT..You are forgetting one thing...A basset that cannot perform what they were ORIGINALLY breed for should not be in the show ring or even worse breed They should be neutered or better yet CULLED! Confirmation + Performance = a Basset Hound ...one without the other produces a substandard breeding...I'm sure plently of people here support the breeding of just show dogs. If you want to help the breed, buy a hunting basset with good confirmation. Otherwise buy a lapdog and stop hurting the breed!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hence, my point. This is your opinion, and you are welcome to have it. I took the quote from the front page of the forum. I think the other types of musings which started this would be better discussed in the General Discussion page, and leave this space for those interested in serious breeding topics.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
They should be neutered or better yet CULLED!
Why is neutering not sufficient? Should not being able to hunt be a death sentence?

A basset that cannot perform what they were ORIGINALLY breed for should not be in the show ring or even worse breed
Many people have found that once given the opportunity and some experience their show hounds CAN do what they were originally bred for. BUT most of us do not have to opportunity to try it. The basset trials seem to be in very limited areas. There are certainly none near me. I have nowhere that I can let my dogs run free to chase bunnies.

However, when a couple of my guys did spot a bunny on the lawn, they were after it like a shot, opened up beautifully and nearly caught it. They come from many generations of show-bred hounds.

On the subject of Labradoodles, while they originally were supposedly bred with a purpose (a non-shedding guide dog with the temperament of a labrador), the purpose failed. Most labradoodles DO shed and their appearance and temperament varies widely. The VAST majority of people breeding labradoodles and other "designer breeds" are doing it for the big bucks these puppies bring, not actually doing breed development.

Honestly, with something like 700 (I think) breeds in the world, 153 of which are registered byt the AKC, I'd be hard pressed to believe that you can't find one to do the job you have in mind, but if that's the case then a careful, planned breeding program to produce a breed that fits the bill would be a valid endeavor IMO.

And as for "bright companion dogs with the solid disposition of good labs", we already have those, they're called Labrador Retrievers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Right when my hopes of science being able to preserve lines of Basset in a test tube.So future generations may have the clone of the best Basset available.
Society serves me up a dish of bassetdoodle.
My Dad said ...sometimes well meaning people do the dumbest things.

T

·
0 Posts
Anybody ever seen a pugle. Pug and beagle? Looks like a frankenstein experiment and people think they're cute. Yech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts