Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally wanted to rescue a Basset or two from a rescue organization here in Southern California. I ended up with two young Bassets that I purchased from families, not pro breeders, pet stores, or Puppy Mills of course, due to the fact that I was able to get them way before the rescue organization even contacted me via phone or in person. I filled out a lengthy on-line adoption form 3 weeks ago. All I got was an automated response that stated a volunteer would contact me in a week or less. MORE than a week went by, nothing. I know they had available hounds close to the requirements I stated, still can't figure out why they want so badly to have hounds rescued, yet not very organized in getting back to the potential adopting persons. If you are curious, I could let you know what the rescue's name is. :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not sure which rescue it is, but Daphneyland has an "open house" every Sat and Sun when you can meet the dogs. So it would be a quicker process. Some rescues are foster based, which you have to set up different meetings with the foster families, which can be a longer process.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you are talking about Basset Hound Rescue of So Cal (BHRSC), they are run on volunteer support. I adopted Edee from them in 2010. I noticed a few weeks ago on their website they are seeking people to do A LOT of "jobs". They might just be overwhelmed and in need of actual bodies to run things. But like Mr Woofus said, Daphneyland in Acton has an open house and you can go out there and meet all their hounds. You can see them on Petfinder I believe. And boy do they have many! I do know that BHRSC has Breakfast with Bassets the first Sat of every month in Huntington Beach, they might have someone you can talk to there, I have never been, so I dont know how many "staff" members go. Hope it works out.
If it is BHRSC I still have an email address for the person who did my adoption, and I believe she's still there, private message me if you want it.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Most rescues are not businesses, they are run by volunteers who also have jobs, families, and their own dogs. Some are run in a more businesslike fashion than others.

Why not contact them again?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most rescues are not businesses, they are run by volunteers who also have jobs, families, and their own dogs. Some are run in a more businesslike fashion than others.

Why not contact them again?
Well, as I stated in my post, I didn't wait them out and ended up with two adorable young males not AKC registered (private party) at the same cost or less as the rescue in California called "BHRSC". I'm not talkin' trash about them, just think it's sad they are not able to respond to people who are ready to adopt their hounds. Yes, I believe most their hounds are with foster homes.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
We went through a basset rescue for our girl.

Don't remember exactly how long it took but certainly wasn't immediate/fast.

Agree with soundtrack about the re-contact as these are usually all volunteer organizations.

Also, they (appropriately) take the time to check out everything...which is great for the hounds but time consuming for the rescue.

You mentioned you knew they had dogs available, unlike some shelters who will adopt out quickly to free kennel space, rescues usually have their dogs in foster homes which enables them to focus so much on the right match. It's wouldn't surprise me if you still got a call from them!

Congrats on your doggies. Sounds like they will have a good home with you!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
This might come off as "bitchy" and its not my intention, but if you ended up getting two hounds some where else, and you're not talking trash, what was the point of the post? I had a terrific experience, and I continue to donate to them frequently.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically BHRSC didn't respond back to me in a timely matter so I adopted from private parties...yes I was a bit impatient. They shouldn't have told me in the automated email that a live person would respond back to me in about 5 days, which never happened. :confused: That's the reason I'm posting this. Better CUSTOMER SERVICE would increase their adoptions, in my opinion.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sounds like they need more volunteers! Maybe after you calm down a little you can see if there's anything you could do to help them.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Basically BHRSC didn't respond back to me in a timely matter so I adopted from private parties...yes I was a bit impatient. They shouldn't have told me in the automated email that a live person would respond back to me in about 5 days, which never happened. :confused: That's the reason I'm posting this. Better CUSTOMER SERVICE would increase their adoptions, in my opinion.
With all due respect, while I agree that they should have contacted you within the timeline they specified, I think it would have been far more productive to contact them with your concern/complaint rather than posting it on an internet forum. If enough people let them know that this issue causes them to go elsewhere, then they are more likely to improve their response time. But without feedback it's hard to know there's a problem.

Also, is it possible that they did attempt to contact you but were unsuccessful? For example, if the contact info you provided had a typo? Or they tried to call and you weren't in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for a comparision, prior to the Basset rescue, I also applied for a Shiba Inu rescue. SAME PROBLEM but not even an automated response. When I contacted them again through email, they told me that these things take time and that there were NO Shibas to adopt at this time anyway period. I was also checking out two local shelters for a few weeks before I found my hounds at private parties. So if you can find your hound at a rescue, you should feel really good about it, and lucky!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree. I contacted brood several times. They never responed back, unless they had posted bad contact emails and numbers. (i.e. emails returned by server) I think they are better with dogs than people. I would tell them about my bad experaince but nobody will return email or calls.

·
Registered
637 Posts
We got Molly from a rescue group, and we were very lucky. The timing was perfect; they matched her up with us before they even had a chance to put her up on their website.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
well Floppy, feel free to email them about it, it would be good for them to know about your experience. their email is: [email protected]

they are a good group of folks BHRSC. we met them when i went down for their fundraiser, the Basset Games, when i wuz a year old. it wuz when i took 2nd place for Marathon Napping.... snooze... zzzzzzzzz.....

anyway, where wuz i? also my pal Annie used to volunteer with them too.

but yeah prob low on the manpower since it is all-volunteer.

if there is one thing we learned from being on this forum, it is to not be in a rush when looking for a good, quality pup, whether it's from a breeder or a rescue. we did not think it wuz important initially, but now we see it is. it takes time to find something that's a good fit.

we wuz in a rush too, so my person got me from the first breeder she talked to, which wuz prob a mistake. (except then my person wouldn't have me, she'd have someone else!)

before that she wuz looking at the Wiener Dog Rescue group in California. Tho she did get calls back, nothing looked very promising and they didn't seem that interested since she wuz in an apartment. so she moved on and went to a basset breeder instead. she felt comfortable enuf with wiener dogs since she had one before, to rescue one. but didn't know much about bassets so didn't feel as comfortable rescuing one so wanted to go with a breeder.

anyway, so we learned a lot from this experience. but yes, we did have an experience sorta like urs. but also wanted to say that BHRSC in general is a good group. welikes them.
--Worm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts