Basset Hounds Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes she's an odd little soul is my Bagel Hound, so why oh why am I considering getting another one? Lol I've just made some enquiries about an 8 month old Bagel bitch, main question is Does she chew sofas?:D

Glad Henry is so full of shame. rofl. Had your hubby even had a chance to look at it?

Here's one Why does my Basset never look ashamed when they get told off?

Bella just lays down and does the "Don't hit me" look, as if I've ever hit her before, more embarrassment on walks. been tutted at a few times in the park when she does it. I have never raised my hand to her, though I was tempted when I caught her chewing and digging the front of the sofa.

Oh and another one Why does my Basset lay down and refuse to move while out on a walk until the person/dog that was following has passed us? And then why does she try to follow them to sniff the backs of their legs, or their shoes?:rolleyes:

I enjoy it so much I want to double it, lifes never dull.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
No, it was the special part of his christmas present, fortunatly or unfortunatly depending on how you look at it, he doesnt even know it exhisted but there where mny questions about why Henry wanted to be daddies best friend last night and was ignoring mummy lol!
Hen wags his tail when you tell him off, almost like he cant believe its him your telling off! Ashamed, thats not an emotion he is familiar with! Maybe him and Bella should become best friends!
I love the fact that she pretends to be abused! That so naughty of her! As for flat basseting until she gets behind people, thats just funny! I cant wait for the stories from 2 lol

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Why does my Basset lay down and refuse to move while out on a walk until the person/dog that was following has passed us? And then why does she try to follow them to sniff the backs of their legs, or their shoes?:rolleyes:
basset do not like to be chased they much rather do the chasing. the flat basset it just a means to an end .

Why does my Basset never look ashamed when they get told off?

What Really Prompts The Dog's 'Guilty Look'

Horowitz was able to show that the human tendency to attribute a “guilty look” to a dog was not due to whether the dog was indeed guilty. Instead, people see ‘guilt’ in a dog’s body language when they believe the dog has done something it shouldn’t have – even if the dog is in fact completely innocent of any offense.

...Dogs looked most “guilty” if they were admonished by their owners for eating the treat. In fact, dogs that had been obedient and had not eaten the treat, but were scolded by their (misinformed) owners, looked more “guilty” than those that had, in fact, eaten the treat. Thus the dog’s guilty look is a response to the owner’s behavior, and not necessarily indicative of any appreciation of its own misdeeds
FWIW the guilty look and associated body lanquage includes many "calming Signal" simply it is the dogs way and try and calm and appease an angry human.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I haven' read this thread before, diddnt realize there was so many brits here! I'm one too, married an american and now I'm stuck, but reading the older posts reminded me of a couple bassetisms. My old Basset Chloe that passed away a year ago, absolutely worshipped cheese and branston pickle sandwiches, I could only ever take them to work for lunch, if I tried to eat them at home I got mugged! Another incident this reminds me of is the time I found strongbow hard cider at the store. Had a can in a glass around a campfire in the yard one summer evening and put it under my chair, went to get a sip and the glass was empty. Next thing I know I have a drunk basset swanning about the yard-she got in bed that night, layed on her back with four paws in the air and snored the loudest she ever had or did!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why does my basset.....
sniff every blade of grass individually, cry all night even though she doesn't want anything, walk soooooo slow, turn around and run home if someone is walking towards her, walk into the grass to pee and still end up peeing on the sidewalk

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
walk into the grass to pee and still end up peeing on the sidewalk
For most basset they have very little to no hind end awareness the back legs are around for the ride. So when a dog developes a substrate preference for going ie grass as long as the front feet are in the grass most basset assume they are in the gras regardless of where the rear end is. On of the most important aspects of agility training with basset is teaching hind end awareness and control

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
cry all night even though she doesn't want anything
she does want something it just might be you have not figured it out or it is something you can not provide. Fischer for example when there is a crtter outside that he can not get too this is more likely to happen at night, possums coons and skunks oh my. Not say this is what it is but they do not whine without a reason you just have not figured it out yet.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
turn around and run home if someone is walking towards her,
this is not a basset trait per say but a fearful dog trait. When toughy was a pup we would have to go for drags outside but as soon as an oppurtunity arose he would run back to the house. Even once he over came his fear of being outside he alway on walks was faster returning than goining away if you read you will find just the opposite is true with most basset once they figure the walk is comming to an end they try all mode of manipulation with the flatr basset being a classic to extend the walk. So it is a fear of strangers and the security that your house represent that cause the behavior,

This is not an entirely bad trait if she were ever to escape you can be pretty confident she is not going to be wander following her nose she is going to be sticking near by

·
Registered
17 Posts
For most basset they have very little to no hind end awareness. l
She can't see where she's putting her front paws either. I put her harness on the ground for her to step into and she always misses. Then gets mad at me because I pick up her paws to slide the harness under.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
She can't see where she's putting her front paws either.
If you have a ladder lay it on the ground and have her walk through the rungs slowly going through quickly is easier than slowly you want only one leg up at a time it will help with teaching her where her feet are. Other hind end awareness exercisess include backing up in a straight line ie walking backward. Perch work Which is uselly done by shape if you have no expereince shaping with a clicker it is certainly not an excercise to start with

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
you could do someting similar with the harness as the teach the dog to put its paw on the perch that is reward the dog for first one baw where it need to go in the harness then two paws it would time and you need to move around where you practice so the dog learnes it is where the harness is placed that dictates where it is supose to put its paw vs touch a particular sot on the floor but that is another option as well. Putting spots on the floor that you teach the dog to step on without the harness there then place the harness so the spots end up where you want her to step through the harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all! I recently got a basset, My first. Her name is Belle, Super adorable and spoiled. OMG spoiled. One thing she does is she really doesn't like the cold. If its raining better be prepared for some potty spots. It's cold here in missouri now and she won't even leave the porch. I try to get her to go in the grass, she won't even make it off the first step. So a work in progress. totally understand the socks and dryer sheets. She likes the cat toys too, a laser light is just great fun. She hasn't gotten in the shower with me yet, but she'll sit outside of it and bark and whine. Sometimes try to sit on the edge, it's kinda cute to see her try, 'cause the cat won't let her. :D

101 - 116 of 116 Posts