Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Why do pets end up in animal shelters?
According to the study:

The majority of the surrendered dogs (47.7 percent) and cats (40.3 percent) were between 5 months and 3 years of age.

Approximately half of the pets (42.8 percent of dogs; 50.8 percent of cats) surrendered were not neutered.

Many of the pets relinquished (33 percent of dogs; 46.9 percent of cats) had not been to a veterinarian.

Animals acquired from friends were relinquished in higher numbers (31.4 percent of dogs; 33.2 percent of cats) than from any other source.

Close to equal numbers of male and female dogs and cats were surrendered.

Most dogs (96 percent) had not received any obedience training.[/b]
:( :( :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
i wonder what the percentages look like if you cut it between dogs purchased from good breeders and those purchased from lousy breeders, or pet-shops.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Since this is an issue close to my heart, here are some shelter statistics from Pennsylvania courtesy of UAPM:

Shelter/ Breed-Rescue Questionnaire (sent to over 200 registered rescue agencies in Pa.-obtained 37% return)

United Against Puppy Mills initiated a shelter/breed-rescue questionnaire to establish statistics on the number of unwanted dogs entering rescue agencies and the cost of caring for those dogs to the agencies and the animal advocates that support them:

read left to right all figures 2001-2005
total incoming dogs per year 47534 49813 52004 57617 59434
dogs per volunteer 13.7 14.4 15.0 16.7 17.2
cost of dogs to Pa each year 8461052 8866714 9256712 10255826 10579252

According to a Lancaster Intelligencer Journal breed survey, the average selling price of a puppymill dog bred in Lancaster County from the period Jan 1-March 1 2007 was $527- (if you would like to see this broken down by breed, go the the Basset Politics forum and see the 'Update On Pa. Dog Law' thread-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a lot of puppymills in PA - I have heard the government helped the Amish community set them up to subsidise farming years ago. I would think of the purebreds in the stats most would be from puppymills via pet stores. One of the many faults of pet stores (and of course their suppliers) that they encourage impulse buying. The last thing a puppy should be! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts