Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what some of the reasons were for the people of this forum to choose the Basset Hound breed? I mean there are 600 plus dog breeds to chose from, what led you to the decision to pick a BH for companionship?

I'll start I guess...

I chose a Basset Hound because I wanted a dog that rode good. By that I mean on heavy equipment and trucks. As a heavy equipment operator (at the time I got Kenworth anyway) I was bored sitting inside those machines all day and thought a BH would be great company. They are. And now that I work for the Railroad, he still is, though he gets a little more dirty now.

A

·
0 Posts
I didn't choose my Wilson, I was just looking for a dog to "replace" my beloved Shelby whom I lost the previous year. I was attracted by the ad the people wrote in the newspaper and the second I met Wilson, I knew he was the dog for me. I fell in love with him, took him home and then found out what basset hounds were like. If I had done things less impulsively I probably wouldn't have picked a BH, but now I will likely always be a BH owner. They are great dogs.

Having said that, I am a sucker for any dog. I have never met a dog that I couldn't fall in love with. I found a chihuahua in my yard (I actually thought it was a rat) a short time ago and would have kept it also, if the owner hadn't shown up a few hours later.

·
Registered
813 Posts
We had pit bulls for years and contrary to popular belief, they are the sweetest, most loving dogs in the world when human beings raise them instead of slobbering barbarians. Then a friend gave us his Yorkie when he couldn't keep him anymore. Another friend gave us a German shepherd along the way. I adore dogs, all dogs, any dogs, so when my husband did some work for a guy with a basset hound and told me how cool Elvis (the dog) was, and then a few days later I saw an ad in the paper where somebody was giving one away, I went and got him even though at the time we had one of the pit bulls and the Yorkie and three is a bit much! He's our only baby right now -- Rosie and Li'l Bit have since died -- and he's an all-consuming, full time job all by himself. I wouldn't say I would only have basset hounds in the future, as much as I love George, because I might well find and fall in love with another kind of dog someday. But now that I know what having a basset is like, I would probably try to find another one if I were looking for another dog. George is the entertainment committee around here. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
We just got Olivia this weekend. So we are new owners. Being a product of the 80's, I really liked them from seeing them in Smokey and the Bandit and The Dukes of Hazzard. When the opportunity came to adopt one, I started reading about them, and found their traits to fit in well with our family.

On a side-note, I want to thank you all for participating in this forum. I have been reading it all day, and I have learned a lot.

A

·
0 Posts
We were SUCKERED! Just kidding! We very carefully researched all breeds that we thought fit us. It could not be a "girly" dog nor could it be too big, too hairy, too drooly, too noisy, to mean, ect. So, how did we end up with a bassett? Not enough research and an adorable puppy. We thought they were a great guy dog and a girl dog, physically pleasing to the eyes, most important, good with kids and people, and easy to train. I would like to find the web site I found earlier in our pre-Baxter days and reread it. I think in all of my excitement to get a dog I chose my information as I saw fit. :) Anyway, we found a breeder and the rest is history. I also know I will only own a bassett from this day foward. As awful of a puppy Baxter was (and can still be!)I would not trade him for the world. I think our puppy days are behind us and if we were to expand our brood I would really like to try the rescue route. Now that we know what we would be getting into I think we could handle it.

A

·
0 Posts
I really don't know why I chose bassets. I just knew I had to have one.... and then two .....and now three! yvonne

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will never be without a BH, and as I say this I also have a Miniture Schnauzzer and Black Lab. In the past I have also had two Beagles and grew up with a family that bred Saint Bernard's. I too love all dogs, but BH's now have my heart.

As for Grommet who said the Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit raised their awareness of the breed, I can relate to that myself.

All and all I just love the persoanlity of the breed, but best of all Kenworth. I will tell you all what I say to him as I rub his long droppy ears. "Kenworth...your my best friend."

A

·
0 Posts
As a little girl, my parents wanted a dog for us kids that was good with kids. They originally got a dalmation puppy but this one was deaf so they gave it back to the breeder, (they're prone to that). Had this puppy not been deaf, I would have never known about bassets.

How my dad knew about bassets is beyond me but he found out that they are great and gentle with kids, so they found "Dixie Ana Citation" (Bud) who was born in San Diego and they got him at the Nancy Evans Kennel in Phoenix.

Because we had Bud...I said I'd get a basset when I owned a house and when I was home to take care of it.

Moved to MA, bought a house, got Ruby from a well known breeder there...and the rest is history.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When we got a house my husband wanted a dog - he had never had one ever. He had a cousin who had a Basset Hound named Honey who lay on the sofa and watched TV. John really loved this dog, and wanted one too. I had grown up with Beagles and figured a Basset Hound would work. Little did I know - Wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, I wanted to have BH caused I thought they were lazy, loyal and easy to handle. I admitted that I didn't do my homework. Now they become my homework, well....my favorite homework! :D

I guess I was totally wrong then, they have so much energy, steal your food, and your couch space, they have selective hearing. oh my...my... :D

A

·
0 Posts
Well we ended up with a BH because my husband(fiance at the time) wanted his own dog. I had 2 mutts prior to us meeting. So we talked a while about what kind of dog and he tells me a bloodhound. I said "No way, we already have 2 dogs". I decided to do a little searching on what is like a bloodhound without the size. And that is how I came up with the BH. They are big dogs, but low to the ground. I thought I can handle this...little did I know what I was getting into. Also, at the time my husband was living 200 miles from me so he really didn't know all the basset puppy trouble except on the weekends. So when we got Mollie this summer he was shocked what BH puppies can do.

But we wouldn't change anything a bit! (not sure if there is anything left to tear up) Just kidding, we are hooked on bassets. And I am a HUGE animal lover so I would say I will atleast have 1 basset at all times. They are great dogs and can't think of life without them. Life might be normal!

·
Registered
211 Posts
We got a Basset Hound because my husband has had an obsession with them since he was a child. He always wanted one. But, his parents wouldn't get him one. So when we got married and decided to buy our first home. He wanted me to also start looking for a doggie. The choices were either a Basset Hound or a Bulldog. The Basset Hound won out. We have now had Toby for 5 years. I'm sure we will always have a Basset Hound as a pet.

A

·
0 Posts
I once dated a guy who had the most beautiful basset girl named Gertrude. I hung around much longer than was necessary because I was mad for Gertie. I mean the guy was nice and all but the whole relationship was really UNhappening.
So, I thought, "Why don't I just get my own damn basset?"
Now, if I thought adult bassets were adorable just picture the slobbering puddle of mush I turned into when I saw a basset hound puppy. ;)

[ February 14, 2006, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I lucked into mine. I went to my shelter just to get an idea of how they worked, and they happened to have Sebi. They didn't say he was a basset, simply a 'hound'. Sure, why not take a look at him, becuase I liked the look of hounds & I wanted to see how the animals in their care were handled. I fell in love the moment he waddled out, and after bringing him home, I think I couldn't have found a more perfect breed for me. I still harbor ideas about bringing a newfie back into my life someday, but I have a feeling I'm going to be a 'basset loyalist' from here on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I always thought Bassets were cute (although I'd never really known one). While going through some personal 'stuff', a friend forwarded me a Craig's List posting - someone was giving away their 8-month-old Basset Hound. She thought a dog would cheer me up.

I went to see him (on a bit of whim) thinking they were interviewing several people in order to make a decision. After about 45 minutes, his then-owners said I could have him. I had no idea I'd be taking home this little monster who has since completely taken over my life.

I always say George is the best irrational decision I've ever made. And, like xtineebee, Basset Hounds are the perfect breed for me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Lucy chose us when we went to a rescue group to look at a beagle. She came up to us and we were immediatly smittin (sp)! The rest is history!

A

·
0 Posts
I had a Beagle as a child. From Various shows I thought thats 4 me. When I bought Tummy Boy I was in my late 50's :) His ears are long and mine are starting to hang. :) He is fat and very squishy(sp?)and now I am too! :) He is a red and white and I was born with red hair . :) Now only my hair dresser knows I have A LOT of highlites Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy :) :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I met my first basset when I was ten years old, and living in Australia. We waiting for our ship to sail (back to Canada), and were living in a rental duplex right next to the ocean.
The people on the other side of the duplex had a young basset named Brutus. Brutus' nose used to lead him down the cliffs right next to the house. Of course he couldn't get up again, so the neighbors always asked my brother to go get him.
He even got into our house one day, and tore apart our suitcases. He also loved to tear any clothes off the line, that happened to be flapping in the breeze.
So, after all this mass destruction, what kind of dog did we get when we arrived home? what else? A basset! :D Once you're hooked, you're hooked!

Sandy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts