Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be some out there who are breding and showing in conformation. I'd like to know who's out there. Let's see if we can get this board going again. I'll start it off. :D

I'm Don Bullock. My wife and I have been showing in conformation for over fifteen years. More recently we decided that inorder to get the basset hounds that we wanted to show we would have to breed them ourselves. Currently we are working with Heather Simonek of Vogue Bassets to create our own line. You can see our dogs and read more about us at our Woebgon Basset Hounds webpage.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I've been showing since 1981 and breeding occasionally since 1992. We also participate in obedience and agility, and at the Nationals we will be in the Rally ring for the first time, as well as trying again at the hunt test.

·
Registered
939 Posts
can anyone tell me where they may have seen this? and then how many people follow it? "Breedings will be directed toward producing Basset Hounds of exceptional quality in breed temperament, Basset Hound type and ABILITY to HUNT GAME. Only healthy and mature dogs and bitches free of congenital defects and of characteristic breed type, sound structure and temperament shall be bred."

·
Registered
104 Posts
There must be some out there who are breding and showing in concormation. I'd like to know who's out there. Let's see if we can get this board going again. I'll start it off. :D

I'm Don Bullock. My wife and I have been showing in conformation for over fifteen years. More recently we decided that inorder to get the basset hounds that we wanted to show we would have to breed them ourselves. Currently we are working with Heather Simonek of Vogue Bassets to create our own line. You can see our dogs and read more about us at our Woebgon Basset Hounds webpage.
[/b]

checked out your website. your bassets are gorgeous!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
can anyone tell me where they may have seen this? and then how many people follow it? "Breedings will be directed toward producing Basset Hounds of exceptional quality in breed temperament, Basset Hound type and ABILITY to HUNT GAME. Only healthy and mature dogs and bitches free of congenital defects and of characteristic breed type, sound structure and temperament shall be bred."
[/b]
The Guidelines of Ethical Conduct we sign when we join BHCA.

Hard to test their ability to hunt when we have no place to run them and no trials. But I did enter the Hunt Test at Nationals just to see what happens.

My guys have shown interest in and desire to chase rabbits that they see, and one of my hounds did catch and kill a partridge...does that count? :D

Of the flip side, how many field people are adhering to the Basset Hound type and structure side of the equation?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Of the flip side, how many field people are adhering to the Basset Hound type and structure side of the equation?[/b]

Point very well made, Miriam :D ........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fully agree with you Miriam. Excellent points. ;)

We tried to get some field trials going in Southern California. Unfortunately, due to the mild climate we have here, there are only about eight weeks in the middle of winter that we can safely take our hounds out in the field. The rest of the year the rattle snakes pose too much danger to take a chance. That also happens to be our rainy season.

I have taken a couple of our basset hounds out to a field trial and entered one of them. Our boy even won a ribbon. I can't remember exactly what it was for. He actually took off in the right direction, following the path of the rabbit. It was something about the most promising newcomer. I wish we had more opportunities for field trials. It was a lot of fun and super exercise for the dogs and owners.

The field trials that I attended were run by Gail Allen and Gil Tankard of Tailgate Bassets when they lived near Sad Diego. Their basset hounds more "type" than most. The dogs that they had out in the field were all conformation champions before they were introduced to field trialing. It was amazing to see those beautiful bassets doing what they were bred for.

In comformation some judges do consider what the breed was bred for when they judge. Personally I wish more did.

·
Registered
939 Posts
here is part of the problem that i would LOVE to solve and be able to DO. do i take a MAJOR step backwards by breeding for conformation and lose the hunting ability or do we breed for hunt and lose some of the better conformation.i will be the first one to tell you that some field dogs are not the best conformation dogs,but if it don't run rabbit you can keep it i don't want it.i really would love to get a good show bitch that has some hunting ability and take it from there. Now i would want to start with a bitch puppy between 8-14 weeks old and work my training magic on her and see how she does. now after talking with show people they told me they had showed pups that had awesome conformation and buy the time they were 2 years old they were conformation dropouts,just turned out they matured and lost it all.i was told that Ike's head was to blocky by some people,i looked at the heads of there Champion show dogs,i felt they were to narrow!!!! Snipey looking to me. Remember the BHCA was started by field trialers who showed there dogs and it seems to me that as time has passed there has been a division between show and field. pictures of the field dogs of old that used to be showed would not have a chance in the ring today.some of those dogs had worse conformation than some of the field dogs of today,but i'll bet you they could run a rabbit!!!! i would love to know how many people breed and don't cull dogs with defects and give them away and or sell them as pets,than breed the same 2 dogs again and get more defects and do the same. Do the pups with out the defects have the genes that could be passed on to there get? it's a crap shoot when you breed... now who is going to sell me there BIS/BIB show bitch so i can get better conformation in my field dogs? i'll only settle for one of the top five :D . i'll take the step BACKWARD if someone is willing to step FOWARD. P.S. no Red and Whites... TRI COLORS RULE!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand your dilemma. When you're selecting bassets for the field do you ever consider their conformation based on the AKC Standard?

As for show dogs suddenly losing their conformation after they turn two, I have found that to be quite rare. Hopefully those aren't the basset hounds a breeder had decided to breed for their next generation of bassets. Sure dome do lose their conformation as they mature, but that has nothing to do with the argument that dogs in the field shouldn’t be closer to the AKC Standard than many are today.

As for culling dogs, I’m not one who believes in doing that, but I do feel that bassets with major “defects” should be sold or given away with a limited registration. That’s why AKC came up with that form of registration. When a reputable breeder does have major defects they have to regroup and make major changes in their line. A truly reputable breeder, if they are following the BHCA Code of Ethics, wouldn’t keep producing bassets with major problems.

As for when and why BHCA was founded that is not relevant in today’s world. Their mission statement is:

The Basset Hound Club of America was founded to encourage and promote quality in the breeding of pure-bred Basset Hounds and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection, to encourage the organization of local Basset Hound clubs in those areas where there are sufficient fanciers of the breed to meet the requirements of the American Kennel Club, and to assist them in their activities, to urge members and breeders to accept the Standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which Basset Hounds should be judged, to do all in its power to protect the interests of the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, field trials, obedience trials, and tracking tests, etc. and to conduct such events under the rules of the American Kennel Club. [/b]
I'd love to be able to get my hounds out in the field. As I stated before, it's just not safe for them here in Southern California. The areas that have abundant quantities of bunnies have even more rattle snakes. In our mild climate their dormant period is quite short. After I retire in a couple of years, I'd like to chack into tracking. We do have some local bassets with tracking titles. That can be done is a safe location.

No, I don’t think anyone will be jumping at the chance to sell you that BIS/BIB basset to add to your line. I'd love to have one myself. Like all the rest of us, you’ll have to work for it yourself. BTW – I’m also a tri-color fan. <_<

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
P.S. no Red and Whites... TRI COLORS RULE!!!!!!
[/b]
Whatever happend to: No good hound is a bad color? ;)

You should be able to aquire a 12 week old bitch with show potential, especially from some of the successful dual breeders. After that you have to take your chances like the rest of us.
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My husband and I are very new to the showring. We have been showing less than a year and are getting better. We have not won anything yet but we are actually starting to not be in last place and winning our classes. Our girls are still young with Scarlet turning two in October and Betty a year and a half. We have participated in two field trials here in the northwest and will be participating in one here in a few weeks. We have a good turnout with usually about 20 girls and 20 boys give or take a few. Last year Scarlet got a 4th place finish for her first time. I like field trials better than conformation because it lasts longer and you get to go out in the woods and I think you get to know people better. They have field trials in sacramento but I guess not in southern california. There are a couple of california people that come up here for trials. Gail and Gilly (tailgate bassets) are always at the trials and they invited us to their ranch last time and showed us where to "practice" rabbit hunting near a beach. Everyone has been very helpful in steering us "newbies" in the right direction.

Erica

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Unfortunately, there seems to be just a few areas in the US where basset trials are held. There are none in Canada.

Should I ever become rich enough, I would love to have a fenced compound where my hounds could run the bunnies, but for now it is just not possible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My husband and I are very new to the showring. We have been showing less than a year and are getting better. We have not won anything yet but we are actually starting to not be in last place and winning our classes. Our girls are still young with Scarlet turning two in October and Betty a year and a half. We have participated in two field trials here in the northwest and will be participating in one here in a few weeks. We have a good turnout with usually about 20 girls and 20 boys give or take a few. Last year Scarlet got a 4th place finish for her first time. I like field trials better than conformation because it lasts longer and you get to go out in the woods and I think you get to know people better. They have field trials in sacramento but I guess not in southern california. There are a couple of california people that come up here for trials. Gail and Gilly (tailgate bassets) are always at the trials and they invited us to their ranch last time and showed us where to "practice" rabbit hunting near a beach. Everyone has been very helpful in steering us "newbies" in the right direction.

Erica
[/b]
Fantastic!!! I agree that those of us who have the opportunity to take our basset hounds out in the field should do so. It's a lot of fun and it's good for the dogs and their owners. As I mentioned before, Gail and Gilly do both. Their field trial basset hounds are beautiful bassets with plenty of bone anf loose skin. My first basset hound from a reputable breeder came from them and I've seen their bassets in both conformation and out in the field. They are great people and we miss them here in Southern California. I know about the trials in Sacramento, but that's too far to travel and we don't have anyplace down here to practice. Perhaps when I retire I can make it to some of their field trial events as well as trying some tracking. Unfortunately school teachers have great difficulty getting off from work. Our school district truly frowns on us taking any time off for pleasure. I also feel that we all should be involved in conformation. While it may not be as fun as field trials and other performance events, it is the best way to keep bassets looking like basset hounds. While some may disagree, I don't know of anything else that serves the same purpose. If people don't like the look of some of the bassets that are winning in conformation today, I'd suggest that they give it a try with their own basset hounds. Judges can only choose from what they have in the ring.

Now, getting back to the actual purpose of this thread. Those of you who do breed for conformation, please let un know you're out there. Do you have any concerns about our sport? Add comments to this thread or start your own.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My husband and I have been owned by Bassets for 34 years (Whew). We started out with a pet from ForestBay Kennels in the 70's. In the early 90's we got our first show bitch who didn't get anywhere but I sure had fun trying and learning. I never got into showing full force while raising kids and putting them thru college so we were a little slow at this game. I just always felt that a Basset Hound was the only dog for us. We had a litter in 2003 out of a bitch we never finished but now have our first champion (Ch Vision Topsfld Poetry In Motion). Her breeder actually did the showing and finished her but Laci and I will be in the Breed Ring at Nationals next week. I've done obedience classes with most of my Bassets and dabbled in the fun field trials the club offers. Time will tell what's in store for us next.

Karen Caron

·
Registered
773 Posts
Karen, good luck with Laci at the Nationals. I hope to get down there toward the end of the week, but it will depend on things at home. I figure the kids can keep an eye on their dad and let me get away for four days, but you never know what life has in store for you......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My husband and I have been owned by Bassets for 34 years (Whew). We started out with a pet from ForestBay Kennels in the 70's. In the early 90's we got our first show bitch who didn't get anywhere but I sure had fun trying and learning. I never got into showing full force while raising kids and putting them thru college so we were a little slow at this game. I just always felt that a Basset Hound was the only dog for us. We had a litter in 2003 out of a bitch we never finished but now have our first champion (Ch Vision Topsfld Poetry In Motion). Her breeder actually did the showing and finished her but Laci and I will be in the Breed Ring at Nationals next week. I've done obedience classes with most of my Bassets and dabbled in the fun field trials the club offers. Time will tell what's in store for us next.
Karen Caron
[/b]
Congratulations on your first Champion. The first one is always special. I'm glad to see that you are enjoying showing. It can be a lot of fun. Have a great time at the nationals. I wish we could get off work, but that is impossible. Pam and I have to wait until we retire because BHCA insists on having the Nationals while school is in session.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldn't call it a MAJOR step backwards breeding for conformation. By right if the dog is put together correctly he should be able to run in the field. I do have to say though I've seen some out in the field and wonder how they can go all day with their not so perfect legs, shoulders etc; Of course we don't live in a perfect world and there will never be the perfect dog.
I must say I've seen some great Red and Whites out hunting!! :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
if i would lose the searching and pursuing ability,accuracy in following scent,proper use of voice,endurance,adaptability,patience,determination,independence,cooperation,competitive spirit,and intelligence. It to me is a MAJOR step backwards!!! Just like i know no SHOW person is going to ask to breed to my stud dog,i know where his faults are,but they would not contribute to a SHOW dog and would set there program back years. he has no MAJOR faults,but any of the field bitches that run the way i like that have better conformation than him are not for sale yet,but everyone has a PRICE which i'm willing to pay!!!! Now i know that a dog with the right conformation SHOULD be able to run all day in the field,but my dog will run circles around them,WHY? Conditioning!!!! is the reason why. i run my dogs(basset and beagle) 2 to 4 days a week 2 hours per session in all kinds of weather,this depends on my work schedule no overtime i'm running dogs!!!!! than i take them to the field trials,my beagle doesn't have a chance he comes up against dogs that run from sun up to sunset and that is no bull. i wish i could quit my job and run dogs all day,but i have to let some others get their dogs a field title too, so i take it easy on them for now!!!! :rolleyes: it's not how fast you run it's how accurate you follow the trail.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Now Billy, you know there are some really nice looking Bassets out in the field (Molly, of course!). John Meahl, Ruth Paule, Elsie Tagg, Linda Gonzolez, Joan Diebler, etc. all have very nice Bassets that know what to do with their noses. I don't think the field trial people (with Bassets that don't exactly conform to the breed standard) care about the breed standard. And most conformation people could care less about the Bassets purpose (to hunt). This is too bad on both sides as they're both losing out on the Bassets most special qualitities, it's appearance and scenting ability. And I'm not a breeder, just an addict! See every one next week!! Belinda.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts