Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you're gone?? Just curious if anyone has made arrangements for your hounds? We had our lawyer come to the house today to add R & S in our trust/will. We have designated specifically who will get them in the event of our death. We also set up funds $$ to be used for their care. The paperwork should be complete within a week. This is something I've been meaning to do and I feel so good that we actually put it in writing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If I die early, my sister will have custody of Fred until my son is old enough to care for him. This is something to think about. Good thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our dogsitter, a kind, retired lady who looks after the Hounds by day. They love her, and they stay with her quite happily when we are on vacation. ££ fund set up.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Though it's not in my will, this is a discussion I have had with my family. My Mom or my sister would take Spencer. I think they both love him as much as I do. In fact, I think Spencer spends more time at my Mom's house than mine!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lawyer was here and it is legal.

Florida Pet Trusts
Many pet owners think of their pets as part of their family. Legally pets are considered personal property like a car or jewelry.

If you are sick, injured, or unable to care for your pet and have not planned ahead, your pets may not be taken care of by the person you want. They may be managed like your other personal property.

Upon your death, your pets will pass as residual property under your will or your states intestate laws.

It is important to make specific provisions in your will, trust, and other estate planning documents to provide for your pet. If not, you pet could end up like many, in a shelter or on the street.

A Pet trust give you the ability to control your pets care if you are unable to. You can also add additional pets to the trust during your life. The trust can go into effect as soon as you create it.

Other less expensive methods of taking care of your pets include provisions in a will to create a pet trust if a pet survives you and conditional gifts in the will. Although a gift in the will does not require that the funds be used for the benefit of the pet the funds are given with the instructions to be used for the purpose you request.

If you would like to know more about creating Estate Planning Documents to provide for your pet, please Contact a licensed Estate Planning Lawyer in your state.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This is a problem for me. No one in my family would treat my dogs the way I would want them to be treated. And while I have a couple of friends who would probably agree to take them and would treat them well, they would do so grudgingly as, frankly, my boys are not the easiest dogs. I leave in a couple of weeks for Africa, so this really is a situation I should get resolved. Maybe I'll just have them buried with me. JUST KIDDING--I SWEAR!!!! Thanks for bringing this up--I do need to work this out.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is definitely a great topic. So many dogs end up in shelters when their human loved ones pass on. :( If something were to happen to me and my husband my parents would take the dogs and spoil them just as much as they are spoiled now (if not more).

~Heather

·
Registered
79 Posts
Technically, Twinkie has to go back to the rescue we got her from. Hopefully they would let my brother keep her should he decide he wanted her.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have thought about this alot. My Cassie, who will be 11 in November and she is still going strong (Thank God!!) She is definately a very spoiled Basset!!! (Who would not want to be her). I have asked my sister and brother, if anything happens to me if they would love her as much as I do and I feel so confident that they would give her the best life she deserves, which is peace of mind for me, I only hope if she departs from this life, I am holding her as she takes her last breath!!!! She is my baby!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts