Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the number of topics on the dog food recalls is getting kind of high, but I thought this was important enough to merit its own thread.

I found this preliminary "map" of a sorts of who owns (and makes) which dog foods. Some (much?) of the information is self-reported and it seems at least a couple of the companies kind of fudged on the facts and got caught at it.

And not all foods are on this list! But hopefully, someone somewhere will compile a more comprehensive list. For now, this is a place to start, if you're thinking about changing foods.

And by the way, Del Monte is also pulling some foods - mostly treats, I think - I wouldn't be surprised if there are more.

Before I give the link, I'll add my own food of choice - Black Gold - only uses domestic products in their manufacture. This info is confirmed, but they're too small a company, I suspect, to catch the eye of the list makers.

Here is the link to the website trying to untangle who owns who and who manufactures what.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Seems like many of the companies on the list claim to use "US suppliers". One wonders where said "US suppliers" obtain their product? Are there any pet food manufacturers that claim that all raw ingredients are US sourced?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone ever used or know anything about Fromm dog food? I usually switch between Nutro and Wellness (although the magority of their diet is vegetables, chicken breast and tuna). Thanks, Belinda.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betsy, I don't have to tell you that's one of the problems with self-reporting, especially when there's strong motivation to hedge your bets. There's a world of difference between obtaining ingredients from a U.S. supplier and specifying your ingredients are all domestic.

If I recall correctly, a few on the list do say their ingredients are all from the U.S. Black Gold also told me (and the feed store dude where I get my dog food) that their ingredients are all from the U. S.

Belinda, Fromm is on the list. Their ingredients sound great but their products are manufactured in China. Well, at least they admitted it!

·
Registered
939 Posts
just before all this started i was looking to go back to Black Gold.I found a store that carries it about a hour and 15 minute drive from the house,which is closer than the guy in Pennsylvania which was a hour longer.I'm in the Purina Club,but i can save 20 bucks a bag and get 12 1/2 pounds more food per bag by going with the Black Gold.So with a growing kennel and trying to keep costs down,it's back to Black Gold for me,the same store also carries another good food called Sportsmans Pride.Prices are close so if they don't have one i have no problem feeding the other as i have used them both in the past.I told you the Black Gold is a good food didn't i Biscuit.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you did, Billy! And you were right.

And the guys who run the place are pretty funny --- of course, they don't think they're funny, but I do and so does the feed store guy. Eg, when I called to ask them about where their ingredients come from, the guy said "It's all that damned PETA!" and proceeded into a very amusing rant. I finally managed to interrupt him and say um, no - this is coming from the FDA, and you could practically hear him fall off the chair. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
939 Posts
i have spoke with John,i think from Black Gold a few times.They raise Foxhounds i think for show and field.Super nice people,what i like is when you call and ask to speak with Mr. Allen you get to talk to the owner himself,try that with any other dog food company.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, Billy, I was pleased to get someone other than a 16 year old located in a call center in a distant state who wasn't really even quite sure what wheat was. :lol: You know --- parents making her buy her own prom dress, all that. :D

Beverly, here we have more feed stores than supermarkets. Of course, I think we also have more cows (and goats) (and horses) than people.

·
Registered
939 Posts
hey biscuit,i started back on the Black Gold today.the red bag 30%protein 20% fat. Bad news is my 15 year old brittany spaniel was put down today,she was my first bird dog and after her i don't think i have it in my heart to get another one,she was the most well behaved dog i ever owned and a joy to be around right to the end. did you see the recall on the dog biscuits? they are made by the same company that makes the sportman's pride dog food,the dog food is not in the recall.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Very sorry about your brittany, Billy. :( It's so hard to lose those dogs that are "firsts" for us.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Billy, I'm really sorry about your pup. :( Time with those oldsters is so precious.

I didn't hear about the biscuits, but - get this - I did hear this: The FDA is closing over half of their Food Safety Labs.

The Food and Drug Administration should suspend plans to close as many as nine of 13 laboratories that test the safety and effectiveness of food, drugs, cosmetics and medical equipment, a bipartisan group of senators said this week.

The network of labs, run by the agency's Office of Regulatory Affairs, "could prove particularly vital in rapidly responding to public health crises" during national emergencies, the lawmakers wrote Tuesday to FDA Commissioner Andrew C. von Eschenbach.

"We recognize that FDA faces serious budget constraints that force difficult choices, but it is far from clear that consolidating ORA labs is a reasonable response to these difficult constraints," they wrote.

snip

Among the duties of such labs is investigating food-borne illness such as the recent outbreaks of E. coli in lettuce and spinach. Ruch said closing labs would be a mistake at a time of heightened fears that terrorists may try to tamper with drugs or the food supply.

"You compromise capability when you have laboratories removed from the areas of need, such as large food-distribution centers or ports of entry," he said.

snip

Colleen M. Kelley, president of the National Treasury Employees Union, which represents 600 of the lab workers, said the consolidation plan was "shortsighted" because many lab scientists would leave federal service rather than relocate.

"They would lose all that expertise and then have to rebuild it," said Kelley, whose union met with FDA officials in November. "The FDA has never made any kind of a business case that this consolidation would lead to better protection for the public and of public health. . . . They just said 'consolidation,' which is code for budget. They think if they have fewer labs they'd save money."[/b]
Yoikes.

·
Registered
939 Posts
ahh yes our wonderful government at work!!!!! there first mistake was that they "thought",when they start thinking you know who is in trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts