Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Basset Charlie just looooves to sleep with us, if he is in bed with us he will sleep as long as we sleep. If he sleeps on his bed on the ground, he will wake up around 6AM and start scracthing my arm so that i'll let him up on the bed, ill lift him up on the bed and he will go right back to sleep.

My question is, is it really that bad to let a basset sleep with you?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't think it is bad to let them sleep with you. Spencer is not the cuddler Sadie was, but he is still warm in winter. Of course it means washing the bedding more, and sometimes waking up spitting hair. ;) Seriously, I think the concern is with them jumping in and out and injuring their backs. When mine were younger, they could jump in and out but I was concerned about injuries so my brother built steps so they could get in and out of bed safely. Here's an old picture showing Spencer already in bed & Sadie about to join him.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi sleeps in the bed, as close to me as he can possibly get! He has this whole routine where he does a scoot and bump until he is right up against me. I was worried about his back as well, plus the new bed is higher than the old bed and I noticed he was having a little trouble getting up there so I got a set of steps. He uses them 99% of the time. I think sometimes he jumps up there just because he can! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Doesn't everyone?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually bribe them to get them to sleep on the bed - they do have stairs up. To me, a main benefit of having dogs is that you get to snuggle with them at night!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My dogs don't sleep with me often. Once we got 2 there just wasn't enough room. If it's a stormy night or the dogs are sad/sick or whatever we let them sleep with us. Gibbs rarely stays up there once Lily is up there though...he likes his space.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I wish. I used to love snuggling with the dogs, but eventually Stomps became very aggressive toward Lightning and one of the things I had to do to stop that behavior was kick both of them out of the bed. Now they're too old to get up and down, but I do miss it. I don't, however, miss washing the sheets every couple of days.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I must be the mean Mom here. My 2 aren't even allowed in the bedroom :eek: They will be running full speed and both of them put on the brakes right at the threshold. I just feel there's no reason for them to be in there. They have 7 beds total in this house. That is more than enough! Also, that is the only room that doesn't have dog hair in it :D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm another mean Mom. No Bassets on the bed for us. They do sleep in our room though, Shami on her own bed and Laci in a crate with some nice comfy crate pads.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another mean mom! I had to break Chloe of the habit of sleeping in the bed -- she was a rescue and the rescue person allowed all the dogs to sleep with her. I have no idea how as she had six dogs at one time! Chloe is a big girl and we only have a queen size bed, so there isn't enough room on the bed, nor is there room for stairs. There is no way I am lifting 65 lbs up and down for her to sleep with us. She has her own bed in our room and she has her own love seat. She seems happy now, but we had to deal with about 4 days of whining, moaning and stomping when we first got her. :blink:

Colleen

·
Registered
511 Posts
Digger goes to bed when I do, and stays all night. Dozer comes and goes, he doesn't like to be bothered when sleeping, so any movement and he's gone. Dudley, the new addition, just found the steps on the back side of the bed, and sometime during the night he joins the rest of us and stays until morning.

I have steps on the backside for them to use, but they don't always use them. My bed is also lower to the ground than normal. (low waterbed frame switched out with an adjustable air mattress)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Guilty here, both dogs sleep with us. We had a queen size bed and had to upgrade to a king size bed just to have enough room for my husband and myself. We also have a set of steps; they both use them all the time. The hair is a pain; have to change the sheet more often.

This is one of my favorite pictures, if you look close you can see one of my husbands socks under Sadie's nose, she likes to steal them and curl up with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aren't bassets so funny? :lol: They all have a character of their own... I'm glad I made this thread, I love all the pictures, keep em' coming :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Is there any room for the people in these Basset laden beds? :)[/b]
Barely, everyone has their spot, humans and dogs; we all fit in like a puzzle. We even have a nightly routine. My husband usually goes to bed before me and the hounds stay up until I go to bed. So my husband is already in bed, Max has to get in next and he goes up in the corner by the wall on my husbands side, then I get in bed and get comfy and Sadie gets in last and finds a spot in-between me and my husband. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sorry to say no Basset in bed with us. We both have allergies and aren't fond of spitting dog hair. Bogie sleeps right beside our bed in his own comfy bed. He has two beds downstairs, as well, and an outside pipe bed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep...two Hounds (Jake and Harvey). We bought a king-sized wooden bed and sawed 8 inches off the legs so that they wouldn't hurt their backs jumping up. They sleep on TOP of the duvet though (despite Harvey's best efforts to snuggle under the covers in Winter!!!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another mean mom here. Dusty is allowed in our room but not on the bed he usually sleeps in our room right next to the bed. It is funny most nights when I have let him out for the night he will come in get a drink of water and the walk in to our bedroom and that is it for the night, until I wake him up in the morning. Hubby and I laugh when we see him headed to our room, we say well it must be bed time. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
a very mean Mummy here,mine are not allowed upstairs at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts