Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is really interesting reading, thanks for posting it!!

In fact I'm printing it out and taking it to doggy playgroup tonight, ask them to put it on the noticeboard.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Agree but unfortunately live in a throw away society that wants 'it' now & sadly gives little thought to the expense, care, training & hard work that goes into dog ownership let alone where it comes from. Gone is the understanding that the more you put into something the greater the rewards & hey if things don't work out can always off load it. Can't remember which behaviourist it was that said dogs these days are expected to be born innately well behaved, mannered & socially adept, which is more than can be said for many owners. Educating the public sounds great, but does the public want to be educated or really care, perhaps I'm just a cynic but never seen any signs of it.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
@mikey t:

I like this message. Really strikes a chord.

I think a reputable breeder (emphasis on the reputable) and a reputable dog rescue have two important things in common; will take the dog back if necessary, and good screening of the adoption applicants.

I especially like the part of knowing what one is getting into (or possibly getting into) when adopting.

understanding not only the time, commitment and perhaps large expense in pet ownership.

I have posted previously, if it were not for the breeders, there weren't be a basset hound

If not for the rescue folks, there would be a lot of homeless hounds.

nice posting

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at the same time trying to legeslate puppymill out of existence will not work and in the end it only hurts the reputable breeder's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts