Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking Wiggiman for his first update on his shots. He is 15 months old. I know rabies is a must, but is parvo, distemper and hepititas also a must? I live in New York, east coast. We do spend weekends upstate. He is on heartworm and uses Advantix.
thanks
maryf

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Vaccination Protocols are a hot topic these days. I really think this is something one should research and then discuss with their veterinarian because there isn't a protocol that right for all dogs. What vaccinations a dog receives and when depends on a lot of variables such as breed, location, whether he boards or goes to dogs shows, the health status of the dog, and so on. So it really has to be tailor made to the individual dog.

Here are a couple of Vaccination Protocols. I can't vouch that these are the most current.

UC Davis VMTH Canine and Feline Vaccination Guidelines

Jean Dodds Revised Vaccination Protocol

Also the first rabies is a one year but if the next rabies is not given by the exact date a year later it has to be a one year rabies vaccination instead of a 3 year. Edited to add: This is how it is in Massachusetts and many other states. Texas I believe requires a rabies vaccination every year. Maine was every 2 years last I knew. Again your veterinarian will be able to advise you.

Let us know what you and your vet decide.

[ October 30, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that my vet doesn't carry the three year..Also, I might do the all in one.. dhlp
or just the rabies, distemper and parvo.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all "required" shots on my dogs until they are a year old and then I give rabies (3 yr.) and titer for all the rest every couple of years. Belinda.

[ October 31, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Belinda ]

·
Registered
939 Posts
mine just got there shots after the field trial this weekend "Vanguard 7 in 1".once a year no matter what!!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Rabies per local regulations. Several vaccines have been demonstrated to provide three years of protection against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus. I'd recommend using one of those if someone wants go longer than a year between boosters. Titers are not reliable.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Betsy- thanks for that info- I'm glad to have it although it is somewhat upsetting since I've been relying on the titres to make sure Murray is protected- I will discuss this with my vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts