Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have really slowed down on here...where is everybody? Who's missing from the old board? Where's Sadeyes, for one? Where are all the regular posters? We used to have more... :(
OK, let's liven things up!!! Ouestion:

When was the very FIRST time... (NO, not THAT! :D ) ...that you ever saw, a basset hound?

I've told this story before:
I was ten years old and living in Australia. Our neighbours had a young, destructive basset hound named Brutus. He tore our laundry off the line all the time, and even got into our luggage one day.
We were living by the sea, and his nose always led him down the cliffs, where he would get stuck. The neighbours would come and get my brother, who would climb down and get him.
As bad as he was, we fell in love with him. So when we came back to Canada, we just HAD to get a basset of our own. So we got a female, Hence the name LADY Brutus. I grew uo with her, she'll always hold a very special place in my heart. And I just couldn't imagine having any other dog, but a basset! :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sandy, I've noticed too how quiet things are here. Maybe it's the nicer weather drawing people outdoors & away from the computer. I know our weather has been much improved lately.

I cannot recall the first time I saw a Basset Hound, but I remember always wanting one, even as a child. We had dogs growing up, but never a Basset. So, when I bought my first house, I added Bassets to the decor! While I love all dogs, I cannot imagine having another breed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, I'm still here.....grrrrrr! Electrical problem on the boat (for which we had already paid someone $800 to fix!) so won't be leaving until Wednesday (fingers crossed). I can't remember when I began really wanting a Basset Hound. I grew up with hounds of all types (Black-n-Tan, Walkers, Redbones, Blue Ticks, etc.) but never a Basset. I think I started really considering them when we finally, after 25 years, got down to our last Lab (before Grace). I was looking for a little less active dog (ha ha), smaller dog (ha ha ha), one that would be easier on the boat (ha ha ha ha) and one that was just all around less demanding (LMAO!!!). So naturally the Basset came to mind! :roll: :lol: But, once I got one - Rosebud was my first - I have never looked back and I'm more in love with them than ever. It's taken a few years but even dear Hubby has grown to love them and that's quite a feat!!

T

·
0 Posts
Hi, Lynne, sorry your vacation got delayed. Don't you hate paying again for something that was supposed to be fixed? Grrrrrrr, indeed.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
134 Posts
There won't be any paying again.......he can just sleep there until he gets it right! I'm sorry that he "don't work on weekends or evenings" :x I don't need to be out in Bum_____ Egypt and have no batteries and $500 worth of meat thaw out on me! Not to mention being proverbially "dead in the water"! :evil:

For some reason if something is going to go wrong for us it is ALWAYS on Memorial Day wekend! It's happened three different times for us (thankfully not in consecutive years). This too shall pass. :wink:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think I was just born to love the basset breed....have been in love with them since I was a really young child. This is really weird maybe, but my brother gave me a stuffed basset toy when I was little, and that little thing (which I still have) sparked my interest in these houndies. I didn't actually see my first real live basset until I was about 16 and in high school. My boyfriend (now my hubby) and I used to walk to the bus together every day after school, and there was the cutest basset that was often outside in someone's backyard. Every time we'd walk by, we'd stop to admire and play with him through the fence. I wish I had been able to grow up with a basset in the family, but in the meantime I just bought lots of pictures and books about bassets and read up on the breed because I knew that as soon as it was possible I'd have my long-eared fur-friend. I had to wait until I was 23 to get my first houndie.....and that first houndie is Scully, who is now 8! :D

Sorry to hear your departure was delayed Lynne! I hope things get sorted out ASAP and you guys can be on your way. Have a GREAT time!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm still here... just very busy with working, hubby changing jobs, and trying to satisfy everyone who wants my attention, including Moe :D .

The first Basset Hound I remember was a mysterious guy whose name I never knew. When I was fifteen, I lived three miles from the high school and I had to walk that far each day, unless a friend with a car passed by and picked me up. A couple of blocks from school I used to run into this really cool Basset who would follow me the rest of the way. I would talk to him and he seemed to listen as he walked along beside me. He was popular at school and sometimes just showed up there on his own. Perhaps one of his people was a student or a teacher there, but I never found out who owned him. I had the pleasure of his company on my morning walks off and on for the whole four years that I was in high school. I always wanted a Basset after that.

Terry :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm new, but I'm here just tyring to amuse a tasmanian devil in a bassets body on a rainy weekend.

My first basset recognition was my brother's stuffed animal doggie, who was a basset. I have always loved them. Our neighbors had one when we were in junior high and he always came out when he knew we were coming home and greeted every child. He was a pretty cool pup.

lala

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm graduating from college this Tuesday at the tender age of 51 with a degree in Nursing. The last few weeks have been he** on earth as my wonderful school saw fit to lose my paperwork(!)
My first basset hound was an adorable little neighbor named Smoky Brown when I was a child. I loved that sweet little dog. My next basset belonged to a boyfriend. Loved the dog, liked the boyfriend, and the dog bought the boyfriend a little more time but then I got my own basset and dumped the boyfriend. :shock:
Lynne, the basset/boat combination isn't one I ever could have thought up on my own. Franny on a boat is never a good thing.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've been absurdly busy. I may be on break from classes, but most of it got taken up with unexpected catastrophes, chores and whatnot. Now, my body is on strike :roll: and it's taking me twice as long to get anything done, if I get it done at all. It's determined to get some rest and relaxation before I have to get back to the coal mines. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't remember when I saw my first basset. But I do remember the last basset I saw before I got Biscuit. He was driving by in a truck and something in me suddenly screamed 'HEY! THAT'S MY BASSET!" :oops: From that moment on, I was on the hunt for a basset, a hunt which led to ... Biscuit!

I'll be getting another basset soon enough.

M

·
0 Posts
I have to admit the very first Basset I ever saw in person was my Maggie Mae and her littermates! I had seen them in books and magazines, etc. I knew when I was out of my parents house and married some day I would like one. After being married for 4 years we got my Maggie Mae. I could never imagine my life without a Basset in it!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
To be honest, it was chance that brought me to my basset (and well done chance!). I think the only exposure I had ever had to bassets was courtesy of the advertising industry. I was far more aquainted with labs, shepards & newfoundlands when I went dog-adopting.

Of course, it has been amusing to learn about 'real bassets'. My image of them was always as regal, quiet, photogenic fellows like this:

But now I know that that they are far more inclinded to seek comfort over poise, and just do their own little version of "letting it all hang out":

Bless them all!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry! We have been around but, basically being busy! With work, school, and puting up a new fence... Not to mention the wonderful weather we have been having in OH! Flash sends a big kiss your way to apologize. We hope everyone is doing well and will be catching up! :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Just back from vacation to Michigan. I'll post pictures and catch up soon- I've missed you guys- wendy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm graduating from college this Tuesday at the tender age of 51 with a degree in Nursing.
Major kudos, Bev!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm a little embarrased to admit it, but I didn't like bassets. My first exposure was at a client's home. I used to plan on going Wednesday or Thursday because the cleaning lady came on Tuesday. He was a very old basset and I didn't know where to pet him without getting full of drool.

So many years later my boss bought Harley Chick for his wife. At that time I said "Why a basset? They drool, they smell, they don't listen". Silly me. Fast forward six months and my lab died and in the meantime my boss had gotten two rotties who were very rough with Harley. So, I took her in...she worked her magic and now I have not only Harley, but Fred as well.

Fast forward again and I met Mike, through a friend I met on the Daily Drool. When he first saw the bassets, he thought "Give me a real dog". So we've been married over a year and a half and now we laugh that the bassets are his, not mine.

Roxy, the pointy ear dog still likes me though!

Congrats to Beverly Ann and we're sorry Lynne that you didn't get away yet.

Alice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts