Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

We lost our Basset girl yesterday, and will be looking for another to cherish. I have her AKC papers and I am trying to find her breeder in the off chance that they may have a sibling litter some day. We loved her so much (still do, always will) that we want to start with the previous breeder to try again. I have their names, and their phone number and address, however when I called the number (it has been almost 5 years) I got a message that does not sound like the same people. Also when I tried emailing with the email address she gave me it was returned as user not found. It's been awhile but it was a Yahoo email address so I was fairly confident it would work. No dice. :(

Is there a search-able place for all AKC breeders of Bassets, or a name list? I guess if it is meant to be it will be so, but I'd still like to try.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can try the Basset Hound club of America website if you don't come up with their name otherwise. Sometimes a couple litters is all someone has before they decide raising puppies isn't worth all the money and trouble to do.Possibly moved to another state. Good Luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! After some looking around I found her! They are no longer breeding Bassets, so acquiring one of Grace's siblings is not in the cards. They are retired and travel too much now, and both of Grace's parents have passed on to the Rainbow bridge. :( Incidentally though, she was shocked and saddened to hear of Grace's Lymphoma and said that was the first case she had heard of among any of the pups that stayed in contact, and many did.

We did have a nice long conversation about Gracie and her siblings, and she is putting me in contact with the owner of one of her siblings. He is apparently an elderly gentleman and his Basset girl, Oka, is his everything. The breeder said she gets postcards from him every 2 weeks telling of Oka's adventures. How precious! It really warmed my heart to tell her that Gracie was and always will be such a wonderful part of our life. To tell the breeder how smart she was, to tell of her quirks and eccentricities and most of all that she was the best thing that happened to us in years, was so helpful in the grieving process. Gracie was just an amazing force. :) I know in my heart our future Basset will be so cherished as well and that is in part due to the legacy Gracie laid down. She was truly a "gateway dog" and opened up a spot in our hearts for Bassets that will now always be there, because of her, and her love. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to contact the breeder and that luckily for the other owners Gracie was an isolated case. It's so hard losing one and I completely understand your situation as we had one very similar. I would start with contacting members of the BHCA in your area and send out emails asking if they know of anyone who may be having a litter in the future. That's how we found our breeder and came about getting our girl Roxie. She has changed our whole world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts