Basset Hounds Forum banner

When will he listen?

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  boris'mama 
#1 ·
Ok Boris is 9.5 months now and he's still a brat!! we can't have him indoors cause he jumps on everything knocks things down and bites!! yes bites!! He lives outside at the moment and is in the cool garage (which has a/c) when its hot.....he'll go in there when he's hot.....we don't have to take him, LOL! anyway, we want to be able to enjoy him inside but he doesn't know how to behave. is this a phase?? I keep hearing its a puppy phase. He also does that when we go outside and attacks me and my 3 year old daughter. I mean wants to bring us down! today I went out to play with him and he ripped my pants! and bit up my legs....I tried some techniques I've seen on tv and they don't work. I've also tried the spray bottle and all it does is scare him away.....then he wants nothing to do with me. HELP! please tell me he'll outgrow this!

His favorite place to be!

Him in action when he was younger

Naughty Boy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't count on him outgrowing it. Keep using the spray bottle while at the same time saying "NO" in a firm voice, in time he will figure out that "NO" means you want him to stop what he's doing, and he will but you need to be consistent because it will take time. It is important that he knows you're the boss and what you say goes. Reinforce this by making him do something for whatever he wants, for example he has to sit and wait while you take the first step outside before he gets to go out, he lies down before you give him a treat or a toy, etc. Good behavior won't happen overnight, you need to be patient and keep at it and weeks ( maybe months) down the road you will see improvement.

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
http://dogshop.50webs.com

#3 ·
OK. I'll say this with the chance of being chastised by all.

If the dog repeats the offenses after all else fails.....Boink that nose with the edge of your index finger. And forcefully repeat NO!!! BAD DOG!!! SHAME !!!! They hate that. <_<

Yeah...If my kids showed their butts in public I'd spank 'em in public. Same with the grand-kids. Sometimes both dog and child need a reminder whose the alfa character.

None of our Bassets ever bit. Not even the stuuupid one, "Churchill." Our kids didn't show out in public. Niether do our grands. Although I'll have to admit no matter what was taken away (When my wife came in it was a clean sweep into a trash bag. Lot of good toys went to the dump.) how many groundings or spankings; our boy would NEVER clean his room. 22 years old now and still a domestic slob.

OK. Tell me what a bad parent / dog owner I am.

#4 ·
This out of control behavior isn't a phase, and it won't go away by itself. Your puppy sounds like he needs socialization and obedience training in a big way! Obedience training will teach you how to communicate with your dog in a way he understands, and how to set and enforce limits on unwanted behavior. Check out your local pet store, dog training clubs, etc., and good luck. :)

#5 ·
You guys need to find a trainer FAST. Ask around (maybe your vet) and find someone that can come to your house a few times. And be careful because there are some hardcore "old school" dog trainers out there. Some of them don't use kind methods. Find someone who can come and observe and advise you. I'd imagine that the group puppy classes are not going to help you at this point. Maybe later but for now, try to get someone to come to you for a few visits.

He's just a young naughty dog that hasn't been trained. AND he's a Basset. He's probably not viscious or you wouldn't still have him. The best thing you can do is learn to communicate with him properly, so he can reside with you and your family without causing chaos ...and teach him to communicate with you. There are ways he can get to do what he'd like to do besides tearing your pants and biting your legs. He just doesn't know any better.

#6 ·
OK. Tell me what a bad parent / dog owner I am.[/b]
:lol: Actually, you make a very good point. Just as children are little savages who need potty training and proper socialization, so are puppies! :lol:

#7 ·
Boris isn't being bad....he's not trained. Get him (and all of your family) into obedience training soon and be very consistant with the practices the trainer gives you.

Janice and little Ruby ("Mommy said I was in puppy kindergarten at around 14 weeks of age and I was soooooo good.")

#8 ·
you've all brought up great points!!!

dh has taken "clearhooter's" type method and he obeys him! he's the best with dh but with me and daughter he acts totally different. he'll go to dh's feet and relax, when he sees me he starts biting......grrrrrrr! ok, well I'm gonna have to tell dh we need some obediance training cause he's not getting it. we've been very consistant with him since we love him to death and can't get enough of him! look at that face!!! I can't stop kissing him and squeezing those big paws (he loves that by the way) but once I stop loving on him he starts up again, LOL!! ok, thank you all

#10 ·
Hi Boris' Mom,

One more word too! (okay more than one...)

NOTHING has helped me further my relationship with my dogs more than remembering that when they misbehave, I'M the one who needs the training.

AND - even the best behaving dogs are not perfect all the time - even dogs who are explementary in the show ring are sometimes not very well-behaved out of it. For me, it was a big relief to realize that - that my dogs didn't have to be little automatons - the very, very, very best trainers in the world will tell you it's about progress, not perfection. They themselves have dogs who don't always listen.

I know you are a long way from where you want to be, and I would offer that if you can find a way to shift your attention to you (I do this myselft) it could help so much. You clearly love your little guy and - he's going to be so awesome - he's so cute and awesome now.

Just to put a fine point on the point :) ---- there's a magazine called the Whole Dog Journal that is very good. Their in-house trainer's business is called "People Training for Dogs" ---- I so think that says it all.

Also, there are lots of great training books that are based on love and respect that are very counter to the "Alpha Roll-Dog Whisperer" mentality. I know people are divided on this, but I feel like I want to give you my best-of reading list. I had two dogs (Lab and Golden) and they were untrained and PERFECT - they just were that way on their own. THEN I got two rescue Bassets and they came with major baggage - so I had to kick myself into gear and start learning - here are the books I love:

Parenting Your Dog
The Other End of the Leash
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Your Relationship with Your Dog
Rosetta Bone
Feisty Fido

I personally believe (and it is backed up by a lot of trainer's philosophies) that it is far better to show a dog what you do want him to do rather than what you don't because it is very tough for anyone to figure out what to do from a no, a spray in the face, or anything else that is painful or frightening.

To illustrate the point, there is a lesson on this point that some trainers do (I just read about this yesterday). They have dog owners pair up and the goal is to teach one person a behavior using only sound. First you do it where you click (or whatever) as the person gets closer and closer to doing the right behavior (e.g. spinning in circles), they get clicks when they are doing something good - they typically figure it out and it's both the Person (dog) and the Person (trainer) who are thinking hard. Next, you do it only saying "no" when the person does something wrong. You can just imagine what that looks like and how completely difficult it is to figure out the right thing to do. A lot of people shut down and just stop the exercise in frustration ---- so do dogs.

Have fun with Boris - he is monster-beautiful and so full of life.

Susan O.

#11 ·
I personally believe (and it is backed up by a lot of trainer's philosophies) that it is far better to show a dog what you do want him to do rather than what you don't because it is very tough for anyone to figure out what to do from a no, a spray in the face, or anything else that is painful or frightening.

To illustrate the point, there is a lesson on this point that some trainers do (I just read about this yesterday). They have dog owners pair up and the goal is to teach one person a behavior using only sound. First you do it where you click (or whatever) as the person gets closer and closer to doing the right behavior (e.g. spinning in circles), they get clicks when they are doing something good - they typically figure it out and it's both the Person (dog) and the Person (trainer) who are thinking hard. Next, you do it only saying "no" when the person does something wrong. You can just imagine what that looks like and how completely difficult it is to figure out the right thing to do. A lot of people shut down and just stop the exercise in frustration ---- so do dogs.

Susan O.[/b]
Good point! From my personal experience, bassets seem to respond much better to positive reinforcement than punishment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.