Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset pup Sally is gonna be 5 months old in a few days, and I am just wondering.... at what age do I put her on adult food? She already gets into my other dog's food from time to time and it does not seem to bother her. How old should she be before I put her on adult food?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
There are no right or wrong answers, but I personally would keep a puppy on large breed puppy food as long as they were showing signs of significant growth, ie 2-3 lbs a month,

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mary, are you wondering if you should cut down on the amount or just going from splitting into 2 feedings instead of 3? My Husband is retired and home during the day so we feed 3 meals a day. Rusty throws up the yellow bile if he goes too many hours between feedings so it works out better.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was wondering the same sort of thing. For the longest time we only fed Rosco puppy kibbles. When he was really small he would eat them 2-3 times a day, but at around 8-10 months he quit eating it as often and only had 1-2 servings per day. Some days he had none, most days he had only 1. Now that we have Layla we have switched to half a can of moist dog food each in the morning - that disappears quickly - and then a bowl of dry dog food at night. Layla eats everything you put in front of her and Rosco usually eats both times. Both dogs weigh around 45 pounds, although Layla looks a bit thin still. How often and how much should I be feeding these dogs (1 year for Rosco, 1 year 8 months for Layla)?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mary, are you wondering if you should cut down on the amount or just going from splitting into 2 feedings instead of 3? My Husband is retired and home during the day so we feed 3 meals a day. Rusty throws up the yellow bile if he goes too many hours between feedings so it works out better.
I was just wondering about splitting the same amount of food into 2 feedings instead of 3. I have heard that it's ok to switch at 4 months...does that sound about right? (Ninja is almost 15 weeks now.)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
splitting into 2 feedings instead of 3?
I let the dog decide that. when they start skipping meals it is a good time to switch. I use that than any arbitrary calandar time frame.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was just wondering about splitting the same amount of food into 2 feedings instead of 3. I have heard that it's ok to switch at 4 months...does that sound about right? (Ninja is almost 15 weeks now.)
I switch also to 2 when he reached 4 months old.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We feed our dogs three times a day as well. I actually think the boys like that more, gives them something to look forward to but the main reason we do it is because both dogs have had issues with bloat and the vet feels smaller meals are better for them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We are leaving food down all day right now and they are not over eating so far. But we are watching them.. Our last basset we never had to pick up the food, she never over ate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts