Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Basset/lab mix (3/4 basset) for three monthsand he is a total joy! More than a little stubborn but cute as a button!

My vet has scheduled his neutering for the beginning of next month when he turns 6 months, but I have heard from other dog owners I should wait until he is a year old.

Never had s basset before so any information is helpful!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I ONLY had my males castrated if there was a medical reason. Retained testicles would be one, but even then it's best to wait for the growth plates to close before castrating. Again if necessary. Two of my boys needed castration because of prostate problems in later life. I regretted having this done - they went very 'soft' and grew thicker coats. All the remaining zip had gone (even if they were elderly and had somewhat slowed down).

Vets want to do this surgery because it brings in income. 6 months is WAY too young to even be thinking about castration. And castration should never be seen as a cure-all for unwanted behaviour. That's down to training and if anybody expects an immediate cure, they will be disappointed. The only plus with castration is no unwanted puppies which shouldn't happen provided the dog is properly contained.

FWIW I wanted my Whippet spayed at around 6 months. Her then vet said wait, citing bone development issues and the potention for spay incontinence (not relevant with a male). So I waited until she was almost a year with no sign of a season starting, and asked him to go ahead.

Just to add - to my mind the Basset isn't a feisty breed, unlike the Terrier breeds, and when castrated, will become very 'soft' and lacking in any 'zip' they have. And it's sad with such a noble breed, to see one reduced to a fraction of what they should be, through being neutered - again unless it's needed for medical reasons.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
yep there is not a overwheming reason ever to nueter males and should an issue arise inwhich nuetering makes sence there is never any benefit to early nuetering,. In any case you want to wait untill at least fully mature 18-24 months see. https://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

An objective reading of the veterinary medical literature reveals a complex situation with respect to the longterm health risks and benefits associated with spay/neuter in dogs. The evidence shows that spay/neuter correlates with both positive AND adverse health effects in dogs. It also suggests how much we really do not yet understand about this subject. On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

On the behavioral side except for marking behavioral the check mark goes to intact dog. The one caveate ih have with this is in US most intact dogs are with Breeders and like minded individuals that general have more dog experience so the result are not that surprising . https://www.caninesports.com/upload...n3arZ29CIgqXyLRQlaK_JjYyg1GQnMPXhkqA7_DIIOxd0

here is the "Master Thesis" in which the behavioral comparison is Made http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/WhitePapers/SNBehaviorFarhoodyZink.pdf
Our data showed that the behavior of neutered dogs was significantly different from that of intact dogs in ways that contradict the prevailing view. Among the findings, neutered dogs were more aggressive, fearful, excitable, and less trainable than intact dogs

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had bassets all my life and had all my males neutered. But now with my new puppy, Teddy, I am not neutering him. I have no plans to breed him and as I'm retired, he will never be off leash or capable of climbing over a brick wall to get to an unaltered female. I just feel more comfortable leaving him the way he was born.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts