Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are now 17 years and 4 months old. They have been wonderful loving pets. Each has arthritis and are taking Metacam. Brandy is starting shots since 2 weeks ago her rear legs gave out and she fell and could not get up. One is starting snap at us when we pick her up in the morning to go outside. Neither moves without limping, both can barely hear, Brandy has bad cataracts and pants due to a weak heart. It appears logical that their end is near. But they look so happy and wag their tails when I am near. How does one know it is time to let the go?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
What an amazing age!
It sounds corny, but they WILL tell you when they are ready. The joy will be gone from their eyes, they will probably stop eating or taking interest in anything that they used to enjoy. It is always a difficult decision.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How wonderful to hear their ages, it gives me more hope! What an awful decision to have to make. I do not enevy you that. I would hope that there would be NO doubt in your mind when it's time. Please give those girls an extra snuggle from me and my boys!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think that your vet could help you, in this. It is a really hard thing, and you can only look into your heart.
I do wish I'd put my cat to sleep befor he got bad.
It would have been a kind and loving act if I had stopped his life befor the pain and trauma of his last days. I couldn't bring myself to do this, and it would have been a gift of kindness to him.
Joan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I agree that you'll probably know when. We've a neighbor who rescued a black lab a few years back. Molly is 15 and is a sweet ole gal who is as gentle as an angel. But, she sleeps most of the time now and her appetite is going. Cindy, her mom, thinks it's almost time for her. But, Molly isn't in pain.

IMHO, pain that is barely treatable is a huge factor, as is quality of life. I'm no expert, and I will be absolutely crushed, lost, when my furkids have to go.

Have you talked to your vet? I certainly don't envy you this decision. I dread the day I have to be there and make a choice like that.

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is just about a month ago that I had them put to sleep. Both had gotten to the point where they would not go up a 4 inch step. Brandy after coming inside would just slowly go to her bed or I would place her on the couch.

I really did not see it their eyes until at the vets office I sat on the bench and place one on the left and one on the right, with the front on my lap and just putted them. It was at that point where I could tell they were ready.

The Monday after that the Tulsa newspaper called about doing an article on them. They published it last Saturday (8-7).

Is there a way to post the PDF of the article? There some good pics of the girls.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm so sorry. :(

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
e a way to post the PDF of the article? There some good pics of the girls.
Yes provided the PDF is uploaded or part of a website if not then it is not possible to post the pdf. All that can be posted is the link
Code:
Automatic hyperlinking (no UBBCode required). Simply type the URL, as in [url]http://www.yourURL.com[/url] or [url]www.yourURL.com[/url]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts