Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Duncan has had the worst week, he had to go to the vet because he was limping and his left front leg was splayed out. The xrays showed some sort of bone disease, possibly a fracture. They don't know what it is so they sent the xrays to a Radiologist. That was tuesday. Now today he pooped blood. He is only 7 months old. We have another vet appt. in the morning. I the last few months my 6y/o cat had kidney failure and has to be on subq fluids at home and prescription meds. That was a huge amount of money spent in one month. I just hope Duncans problem is fixable, irregardless of cost. He is too short to be a three legged Basset. Another reason to boycot puppy mills.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
poor little Duncan! :(

speaking as a total non-vet and non-medical person, i'd guess the two are completely unrelated. however, both have to be taken care of as quickly as possible.

the important thing is, you're getting him into the vet tomorrow a.m. and you're trying to figure out what's wrong with his leg.

don't let the cost freak you out, although i know it can. you WILL figure it out. let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope the little guy gets better fast. Nothing worse than a sick animal :(

Lots of healing drool from Kit & Lea

Lou

·
Registered
775 Posts
So sorry to hear about Duncan. I hope he is all better soon. Sending healing drool for Duncan and the Kitty.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Has Duncan been on meds for that leg? Rimadyl or anything like it? If so, could be it's causing some gastric problems. Charlie can't take anything, not even buffered aspirin, for any length of time without his stomach going nuts.....

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Panosteitis can sometimes show up as a sort of bony mottling on x-ray, and it often presents as forelimb lameness in young basset males. Crossing my fingers that it's something like this, and not something that'll cost thousands. :(

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sure hope Duncan feels better soon. Hopefully your vet is aware of Bassets and panosteitis and how it looks on x-rays. We've had rounds of this with both of our Bassets who were young males at the time, limped, and held their legs are odd angles to help with the pain they were in. Hopefully you'll know the results soon on that and the bloody stools. Sending lots of healing drool to Duncan.

Aroooos from Bogie!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone. Duncan was taking baby aspirin for his pain but I was only giving him half the amount. Besides in people if aspirin is upseting the stomach their stool will turn black because the blood from the stomach is broken down during digestion. If you see bright blood it is usually from the color or rectal area. Sorry to get so know it all, but I feel I should know something ;) The biggest problem is that our area does not have a basset expert, our vet was unsure what it was so she sent it to a radiologist. He limped once before but I chalked it up to the pano. I will try to get a picture of his leg, its really hard though because his ears are in the way. And he won't sit still either.

B

·
0 Posts
:( Duncan, I hope it is nothing serious. Don't worry your Mommy so much. Tummy is sending tons of drool to U & kitty. He's having health issues again too. Keep your chin up !!! Tummy Boy's Mom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts