Basset Hounds Forum banner

When Is Your Pet "Old?"

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Menzie 
I wonder at what age bassets are considered "senior"? Is it around 7.5 like the large breed dogs or is it older than that? I always say that each day after 10 is a gift.

Roady is 11 1/2 and still acts very puppyish and will play for hours to the point of exhaustion if he's in the company of a friend. He started turning gray when he was about 4 but it was a little bit every year and not all over, just the face, head and ears.

He was diagnosed with arthritis in the hocks at age 7 and now has some arthritis in the spine but he's actually has pain less frequently than when he was first diagnosed. Only treatment has been acupuncture and pain meds or muscle relaxants during infrequent flare ups.

He can still catch a piece of kibble tossed in the air so his eye sight is great and so far no problem hearing me whisper the word "cookie"! ;)

I don't know anything about cats as I never had one until a couple of years ago so thanks for the info on cats.

I love bassets at any age but the periods on each end of their life span are my favorites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.