Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to get Eleanor another Basset as a friend? One of the things we've read on here the most is how social Bassets are and how they love to have a friend to play with. Are two easier to care for than one, because they tire each other out?

Or are they doubly as frustrating?

It is probably too soon to even consider this, but we want Eleanor to be the happiest she can be. And we love her so much, I'm hooked on bassets.

Any advice?

·
Registered
987 Posts
well I only have one basset, but I have two other dogs. And they seem to love having one another to play with. I think it will be double the frustration and the fun no matter what the second dog is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
We had 2 bassets right off the bat - I can tell you that while it has been frustrating, from what I've seen on the board here it's not any more frustrating than having the one would have been ... it's just some of the frustrations are for different reasons.

They do keep each other company, though... and they are HILARIOUS to watch chasing after each other and playing.

I'm sure there's pros and cons for staying with one, or jumping in and getting another one.

Mocha and Beldin both have been a constant joy (in spite of the issues that come with having more than one dog ... dominance issues, food issues, etc)

Also, with two sometimes you don't know which one to blame for the missing sock or the chewed up couch corner etc! *lol*

Good luck with your decision!

A

·
0 Posts
I too only have one bassett, however baby Bella the kitten and Wilson play constantly and very much miss each other when one or the other is gone. I took Wilson with me to visit the inlaws at Christmas time and two and a half days later when we came home, the cat had an absolute look of glee on her little furry face, and literally hugged Wilson about the neck with her paws and the look on her face in addition to glee was "Wilson, you're home." then off they went round and round, kitchen to livingroom and back again. We have a standing joke around our house that Wilson is an accessorizing pup, he is usually wearing a big furry cat on his head. If I can ever figure out how to put pictures on here, I will submit one and show you the latest in doggy hats.
Susan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had Gordon as my sole dog for about 4 or 5 months when I decided he needed a friend. Just so happened my girlfriends brother brought home a Staffordshire Terrier at that time. We were going to find her another home since pit bulls have that horrid reputation and scarred both of our families. But I grew attached and she is now staying with us permanently. One of the biggest selling points was how much calmer she made Gordon. It's a lot of work with two dogs however they keep each other company and sleep on each other. I dont know if my girlfriend could handle two bassets though. Gordon and Missy are a very odd mix for sure though.

A

·
0 Posts
I have found that two dogs is so much better than just one. And I would have to say that most all of my dog loving friends agree. It not only gives them a play mate, but they learn to socialize with other animals, boundaries (at times), they tire themselves out a lot faster, and it's twice the love! I have also found that Porkchop, my 7 or so year old Corgi Mix really started to act younger and play alot more since I got Claire as a puppy two years ago. Porkchop makes a valiant effort to keep up with Claire, and yet at times keeps her in her "place" so to speak. They are best buddies for sure! At the time I got Claire I also had a 12 year old Golden who has since passed away, and even he would play with Claire!!!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have 6 dogs, 3 bassets and 3 honorary bassets. I find that they not only entertain each other to give me some "free time" but they help train a new dog when they come into the household.

We avoid food aggression by feeding everyone separately. For some reason they don't fight for treats. They "know" that untl everyone is sitting quietly that no one gets anything. Each dog has something special that we do for one-on-one time.

The bassets have taught the honorary basset to aroo and our group howls & basset 500's are very lively. I am all for multi=-dog households.

Good luck with your decision

A

·
0 Posts
We too would like to get a companion for Jasmine. I want to wait until after she's had her first birthday so that she can, as Elvis' human noted, help train the new recruit. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
When I only had Lightning, he had terrible separation anxiety to the point where he was destroying my house when I would be away. I really resisted getting a second dog, but when I finally did, Lightning calmed down considerably. I think most Bassets would prefer to have a buddy, although I think Stomps would rather have all the belly rubs for himself. But he and Lightning are still best buds. If Eleanor shows signs of separation anxiety, I'd get another dog sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have 2 Bassets & love having them both. But be aware that they are just like humans & can have VERY different personalities. Also, there is double everything - dog hair, doo doo in the yard, vet bills, ETC. I would never have just one, but I think alot of people mistakenly believe that a 2nd dog won't add much to the work or bill load, but they do! I wouldn't wait too long to add a 2nd if you do. I got Spencer when Sadie was 1 1/2 years old & they were great together. They are now 9 & 10 yrs & I do not think I could add another dog. They are very set in their ways & very much creatures of habit. But that again, depends on personality.

[ January 19, 2006, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: AmyB ]

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had had Sunny for Six years before we adopted Buckley. I personally think having two is easier than having one, and they seem happier having someone to play with, especially while we are gone.I think it really just depends on the dog, but all the people we work with with Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia agree with us. I would definatly reccomend getting another one.

(warning slight soapbox)
Advantage to adopting,apart from the obvious things I normally vent about, is that most rescues will allow your dog to meet the other dog before ou adopt, so you can see if they will get along (at least to begin with.)

A

·
0 Posts
We pondered the same question. we decided to get Ethel from the humane society to give Lucy a buddy. we have never regretted it and have had so much fun with 2 dogs. Sure, they can be a pain in the butt once in a while, but we really enjoy having 2 and If one goes to the vet the other sits at the door and whines...they are very close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts