Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um when the buy puppies for later resale.

This issue came to light to me in a puppy dumping incident in Upstate New York where the Puppies had Parvo. There was a recent arest in the case as anounced on WiVB Channel 4 bufalo New York
"28-year-old Laurie Lerkins of Leroy is charged with ten counts of animal cruelty and animal abandonment.

Deputies say Lerkins left ten puppies along West Bergen Road in Leroy recently.

Investigators say a Rochester dealer named "Happy Pups" paid Lerkins to dispose of the puppies, some of which were infected with parvo."

That is bad enough but the way Warren Thomas aka "Happy Pups" and some like mind individuals in the Rochester NY area do business is just as bad.

The buy puppies and reselling them and presenting themselves as a rescue organization. It appears for some it is to skirt past recent NY regulation of pet dealers for a more comprehensive look at the issue I'M including what I found out and posted on another Forum

See the Update on the All About Pups Web Site
"Well case was closed on abandon puppies we are not affiliated with HappyPups and would like to say all pups are rescued and treated with the utmost care"

Not affiliated but the same sick business model. How sick get Barf Bags ready.

1. See Saw this website listed in the paper thread in the www.pet.ca forum and POSSIBLE PUPPY MILLS: check this out!

2. Mr. Fletcher Smith is running his enterprise or has run the enterprise under a couple of Names All of these are linked by phone numbers and email address "Smiths Cute Puppies", "all about the Pups" anmallbreedpups.com and yes www.nokillrescue.com

3. Mr. Fletcher Smith is a reseller of Litter of Pups. Where does he get the pups. Well he Buys them. Seem to be quite Proud of the Fact too. OK this is reference in the forum listed above. Unfortunately the "Smith Cute Puppies" site exist any more and the Unwanted page from the "all about pups" site has been remove even though it still shows up on search engines. However Mr Smith has not remove every post he has made on this subject. on the No kill Rescue Unwanted Puppies - What to Do? page is the following
"At Smith's Cute Puppies, I will pay you! That's right, I'll pay you if your pups are healthy and in need of a home. "

4. OK so the practice is Sick is it Illegal. Fortunately It Appears Mr. Smith is inviolation of One or more NY state Laws.

a. NY state requires dealers [sellers of puppies] to obtain a dealer license. AGRICULTURE AND MARKETS LAW ARTICLE 26-A CARE OF ANIMALS BY PET DEALERS
""Pet dealer" means any person, firm, partnership, corporation, or other association which engages in the sale of more than nine animals per year for profit to the public. Such definition shall include breeders who sell animals; provided that a breeder who sells directly to the consumer fewer than twenty-five animals per year that are born and raised on the breeders residential premises shall not be considered a pet dealer as a result of the sale of such animals. Such definition shall further not include duly incorporated humane societies dedicated to the care of unwanted animals which make such animals available for adoption whether or not a fee for such adoption is
charged."

well to this laymen the the buying of dogs negates the concept of being unwanted. Therefore the need to be license which he does not appear to be. At least not listed on the Department of Agriculture & Markets web site as such.

But if he does qualify as a Humane Society then he is in violation of LAWS OF NEW YORK, 2001, CHAPTER 387 that deal with spay and nueter. Mr. Smith does not nueter the pup before deliver nor does it it appear he collects a 35 dollar deposit required under the law. No mention is made to such deposit in the pricing. Nor is the purchase price including the cost of spaying at a later date. His policy on nutuering is " we strongly encourage you to spay or neuter your new friend."

from Chapter 387 {bold my emphysis added}

2. No animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association, or duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals shall release any dog or cat for adoption to any person unless prior thereto:

(a) the dog or cat has been spayed or neutered; or

(B) the person intending to adopt the dog or cat shall have executed a writtenagreement with the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association, or duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, to have the dog or cat spayed or neutered within thirty days from the adoption date, or in the case of a dog or cat which has not yet reached sexual maturity, within thirty days of the dog or cat reaching six months of age. The person intending to adopt the dog or cat shall deposit with the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association, or duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, an amount of not less than thirty-five dollars. Not more than every two years, the commissioner, after holding a public hearing, may raise the amount to be deposited to reflect rising costs; or

© the person intending to adopt the dog or cat shall have executed a written agreement with the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association or society for the prevention of cruelty to animals to have the dog or cat spayed or neutered within thirty days from the adoption date, or in the case of a dog or cat which has not yet reached sexual maturity, within thirty days of the dog or cat reaching six months of age. The person intending to adopt the dog or cat shall have paid an adoption fee which includes the cost of the spay or neuter procedure. The written agreement shall require that the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association or society for the prevention of cruelty to animals from which the dog or cat is adopted bear the cost of the spay or neuter procedure.

3. For the purposes of this section, the age of the animal at the time of adoption shall be determined by the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or
cat protective association, or duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals that releases the animal for adoption and such age shall be clearly written on the written agreement by the animal shelter, pound, dog control officer, humane society, dog or cat protective association, or duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, prior to the agreement being executed by the person adopting the animal.

other interesting links

Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

FACT SHEET - CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ON DOGS AND CATS

HappyPUPS website
"Where do you get the puppies from? I take in
unexpected litters of puppies that people are having trouble finding homes for." sound familiar.

"are health guaranteed for two weeks." whoohoo required by law!

If anyone in New York State cares to pursue this further with the proper authorities feel free to use anything posted

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I would also submit that buying a puppy from a pet store or backyard breeder is not "rescue".

[ February 01, 2006, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike-

This guy is right in my back yard. Unfortunately, we have several groups like that up here.

The man who runs Happypups "poses" as a rescue, and that's what he tells people. He "claims" that people "give" him unwanted puppies/litters, and he finds nice homes for them. It's also a coincedence he happens to come across litters of fad puppies (pug-beagle mixes, lab-poodle mixes) What he neglects to tell people is that he pays for these puppies and resells them. What really ticks me off is he charges $150-$200 to "adopt" these dogs, yet in most cases, the only medical care they've recieved is a worming. He also does not require any kind of spay/neuter agreement.

And, he is located in a warehouse in the city. Before she knew better, my cousin got a dog from him. You go to this relatively abandoned warehouse, enter and go into the basement, which is where he has all his dogs. He will only accept cash payments.

This shit drives me crazy.

T

·
0 Posts
That's just disgusting. Dogs kept in a basement day in and day out. This is another one of those people who needs to have an IRS investigation started against them. If the local laws can get them, maybe Uncle Sam can.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any Investigative newspapers up there. We have The Virginia News Source, this guy is like a Basset Hound on the trail. He gathers his evidence, then publishes it on his web site, where everybody, including the city government people, mayors, etc read it on a daily basis, just to make sure their names aren't popping up in it!!!
http://www.virginianewssource.com/
Maybe it's time for some of the Basset lovers up there to put him out of business this way, it's legal and it works. VNS has shut down more crap groups and organizations down here than anybody. This group does this for free, totally paid for by advertising supporters.
Just a thought.
This is part of the reason I started Bassets U.S.A. to help organize the homeless Basset situation on a nationwide scale.
www.bassetsusa.com
Bill

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've been hearing about these kinds of problems for a while now. In particular, I've heard of so called breed rescues which take in pure breed dogs, then breed them to sell the pups. I think I originally heard about it (from a reliable source) in reference to a border collie rescue.

I've also heard of similar problems in reference to horse and other animal "rescues."

Sounds like it might finally be getting some attention, which is good.. Rescues really need to be *very* meticulous, so that people understand what a legitimate rescue is, and what distinguishes a legitimate rescue from these places (and from animal collectors).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts