Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...We're all sad. :(

Duke has started limping tonight, and appears to be in pain. I need advice tonight. Is it safe to give him anything, ie: 1/2 tylenol? that's all I have. he's wimpering.
Vet tomorrow, unless it goes away by morning.

T

·
0 Posts
Baby aspirin is 81 mg. If you only have adult sized try breaking it down as close to 81 mg as you can. I think a regular Bayer aspirin is 325 mg. So, maybe a quarter of one to start with. Hope all goes well. Please keep us posted.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Yes, a baby aspirin would do. Poor Duke - Bo must of been too hard on you. Rest up buddy!

Auntie Lynne & Cousin Huckleberry

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baby aspirin I have! Thanks for the quick replies. It's his left front leg, seems to be in the 'shoulder'.

NOTE TO ALL WHO HAVE YOUNG HOUNDS: Do NOT let your dog jump up and down off anything! Duke is now paying the price for my stupidity, I think.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, I give Henrietta 1 baby aspirin whenever she is limping.
She limped a lot in winter time, When we lived up in the redwood forest. I think the environment is too damp and wet for her. She limped almost everyday.

So we had an additional reason to move out from the redwood into San Jose. It's so much warmer and drier here. She still limps occasionally, but only after she's been walking/running around too much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I may have to make up a little medical kit for my dogs.
Dozer hurt himself once. He came running into the house strait for the couch at full speed. He hit the back of the couch so hard, that it knocked a picture off the wall.
Well he started to wimper and drug his front leg around, I thought he broke it. I rubbed it to see if I could feel a break, after a few minutes he acted like nothing happened.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a little medical kit for my dogs... my husband laughs as with all the bits and pieces I've accumulated it actually takes up a whole shelf :) I added Gas-X last week on the advice of this forum :)

I hope Duke is feeling better today- Lots of hugs-

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would think a coated low dose aspirin would be fine. It's better for their tummies.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hope it's not serious with Duke.I wouldn't be too hard on yourself Sandy. I got ramps made for my 2 couches and half the time he still jumps off.I think it's really difficult to stop them jumping. Just wish I had known about their backs etc when I first got him, maybe then I could have kept him off the furniture permanently.

A

·
0 Posts
For idiots like me Cosco makes a couple of nice stepstools that Francis uses to get on and off the furniture. I use that a a nice Rubbermaid stepstool in the den. Even blind, he uses the stools to get on and off the furniture without problems and it saves his joints.

·
Registered
987 Posts
yes, only non buffered asprin or baby asprin. No advil, tylenol or the like. How hold is Duke?
Hope all turns out well at the vet let us know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts